I need to build a boat in two months for a charity race!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dmax, May 24, 2010.

1. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

A few pictures of my small, quick and very dirty version, fwiw. It wouldn't take much effort to make a prettier boat, and, I'm sure a much faster boat. But it gives some idea of how easy the build is. I used 4mm ply, inch square stringers, and PUR gunned adhesive (Sikaflex, et al.)

I'm having trouble with the uploads. Here's a couple. I'll try a few more tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

One of my best finds was Vise polyurethane glue at the local hardware here in Australia:
    http://www.vise.com.au/

It is by far the best I have found for joining where you do not want to go to the effort and time involved with glass/epoxy taping. I use it on closing joins on glass/foam composite where I cannot get at the inside for taping.

The glue relies on moisture to cure and expands as it cures. Once fully cured it is stiff but not rock hard and can be easily sanded. With porous materials like wood and foam it expands right into the grain.

The work does not need to be millimetre perfect because it expands to fill crevices and gives watertight seals.

If you use it without gloves you will still be peeling the stuff off your fingers for the next week. It is tenacious and not soluble in water.

It is expensive - the 250ml bottle costs AUD10 but it only needs a thin bead to do its magic.

It will be firm enough for handling in 1 to 2 hours and near fully cured in about 4 hours. I expect it cures faster in higher humidity but I have not checked this.

Rick W

3. JRD

JRD Senior Member

High Performance Raft design

A few years ago we had to construct a raft for a race down a flat water river. We used a couple of second hand lengths of 4" thick metal reinforced polystyrene refigeration panel from the construction site we were working on (20' long and 3' wide, and 8" thick total, yes bouyancy calculations were undertaken). These were bolted together using mushroom head bolts. cut any shape you want at the bow.

Cut some large holes in the side of some plastic drums, bolt these to the panel to lean against while paddling. Fill the drums with beer cans and any rotten tomatoes - drink the beer and throw the tomatoes.

Not really a boat building work of art but it took three of us abour 3 hours and beat all the rafts built out of metal drums by 15 minutes. Good luck!

p.s. Im not always this rough.

4. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Take 10 55 Gal White Poly Drums.
    (Free in a lot of places or you can buy them from me for $10 each

Glue them End to End with Super Sticky Construction Adheasive from Home Depot

Using a skill saw. Cut another drum into a cone to make a pont on ach end. A boat without cones is pointless

Cut a hole into the top of every other drum starting with the second from the front and work your way backwards. If you have sinny guys make there holes in the forward section and seat your fat guys toward the back.

The Center compartment is reserved for Beer and filled with ice.

Make Paddles from pieces of Plywood. You can get these for Free courtisy of Politial campaign signs placed along the road by Democrats. They will just go to the dump anyway after they loose the election so. Think Green! Recycle!

YOU MUST HAVE A CAMPAIGN FLAg THAT YOU WILL PRODLY FLY FROM THE STERN.

[​IMG]

rEMEMBER YOU MUST cHANT A mANTRA ALL THE TIME WHIST PADDLING.

Oga Chuckka; OhGa OhGa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo-qweh7nbQ