I need some diesels... which ones and where to buy?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by CatBuilder, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

Lombardini also sells in the U.S..
    If I can give you some advice, I'd take a pack of batteries with an inverter, charging with 2 generators silenced..
    They are made ​​in China to 1200 dollars each, 8 kw.

Alternative energy sources are in the offing, and soon hydrogen / electricity will cost little.

Change the two generators will be easy, and they will be recycled.
    They are noiseless and very reliable.
    Since running at fixed speed, fuel consumption is low.

The only drawback is the weight of the batteries.

The battery cost saving in the recovery generators, which had large numbers are cheap.

I suggest you stuff the Chinese, the price / quality ratio is unbeatable.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

No Chinese anything is allowed in my build.

Italian? Yes.
    German? Yes, please.
    Dutch? Yes.
    Canadian? Yes.
    American? Yes.
    Japanese? Yes.

Chinese? No way.

I owned a 5KW Chinese generator once.

It ran beautifully for 10 hours then threw a rod. The engine was garbage. They don't know how to make metal there. Since there are no parts for Chinese generators, I had to throw it away. Worthless.

The next day I went out and paid over twice the price of the Chinese generator to get a Yanmar powered Pramac, made in Italy. It ran for as long as I owned the boat.

I learned my lesson early. Do not buy any Chinese garbage for boats.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I bought some Yanmars 9 years ago --they are ok but cam belt is disapointing 250HP by the way and they were not cheap, parts are out of this world with silly maintenance schedules like replace mixer elbow at 1000 dollars. I will not if it needs to , I will have something made.
    Now if I can have things made then why did I spend so much, well it keeps the price of the boat in check if your boat is that kind of boat and worth it.

If I did it again I would use Hino E700 as the Thais do. A light weight 3000 plus RPM motor that they take from a truck and use for everything, looks similar to a Ford Lehman and typically around 200HP

I can pick up an engine without road use papers for 2000 dollars and they idle like a clock.

They even use them in long tails. Naturally aspirated in line pump,--simple.

I dont want or ever will I want common rail engine managed deisel in my boat.

4. Gian Milan

With extreme regret, I have to recognize that the Chinese never make the same mistake twice.
    Every 24 months, the quality double.
    They also learned to buy pieces (like bearing and wipers) in Europe.
    Each year, China reappears itself as something new.
    Of course, an object Western or Japanese is definitely something different.

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Hydrogen and electricity with soon cost little???? I haven't seen anything change in the laws of physics or chemistry change lately. Cold fusion still doesn't work, there are no magic devices and batteries still store electricity produced somewhere else.

As far as Chinese parts... I bought a Chinese crane for a boat I had. Learn two lesson; never stand under a crane, especially a Chinese crane, and Chinese metal doesn't bend it cracks

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Remember --all these derogatory remarks about China were not long ago said about Japan.

MADE IN JAPAN was at one time a joke --now it is a sign of quality. I expect no less from China.

In the same light Im sure new fuels will come along but we as Humans have only 3 score years and ten.

Driving a fusion boat will not be experienced by anyone on this Forum

7. Gian Milan

I forgot ....
    here give strong contributions to the use of alternative energy.
    The hydrogen in bottles 200 bar, is cheap compared to diesel fuel that now exceeds 2 per liter (in the harbor).
    As said it changes things than the U.S..

Chinese stuff ... look, if I could I would be happy be your advice, the competition from China made me enormous troubles.
    Since I am constantly testing their stuff, I assure you that their quality do astonishing improvements.
    Unfortunately.
    They also learned that where they are not able to solve (for ex-bearings) buy from us. For the time being.

However, if Cat wants references for products in Italy, even used, I'm here.

8. Gian Milan

never heard anything more correct, unfortunately.

9. CatBuilder

You know, I said this very thing to my wife the other day. She is too young to remember the 70's, but I remember during the 70's, a Japanese thing was a piece of junk. Over time, they improved.

Same thing with a Hyundai automobile from South Korea. The first generation of them was disastrous in the States. Later, they re-introduced them and we bought one. It's still running well, 10 years on. No problems aside from all the rust from parking it next to the ocean for all these years.

I think the Chinese will eventually get the hang of things, but the quality is not there yet. I am a firm believer of doing things the right way on a boat and only doing them once. It is much more expensive to by cheap things for a boat than to buy the best things you can.

10. Gian Milan

I have a question OT.

public profile, right; there are green balls.
    What determines the number?
    Why some are on, other off?

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi CatBuilder,
    I would think in terms of 3 engines the same and same size (2 for propulsion and one for mains?) if that is possible - or at least the same breed for parts assurance? Depends on your objectives and selection criteria....

12. CatBuilder

Propulsion is outboards for weight. Less than 400 lbs for 70 HP. This small diesel is only to run some accessories. Mains power is from solar.

13. Gian Milan

I had not realized it was an outboard, but should not be used for air conditioning?

Cat is a sailing or motor?

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Cian Milan,
    If you are referring to the 1 green ball on the top right of your Personal Profile it relates to your # of posts and "reputation" mine has lots - I cannot count then (vision impaired)... I think... It is a good idea to allow PM's (personal messages) - Yours is turned off so I have no way of privately getting this message to you except interfering with CatBuilders thread...

I hope that helps...

15. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

In Canada,KIA has the highest buyer retention rate of all auto makers at over 50%...and Hyundai in 3rd.
    Overall the Hyundai/KIA group is #1.The Japanese come in at the mid 40% range.

In the US, Hyundai is first in one survey,and KIA in another.

I can drive literally any car I want,but drive a Rondo and no one will ever get me out of that car. If they decide to stop building them I'm going to buy another new one to store for the future.

Anyways Cat,like I said in the other thread you can't do much wrong with Kubota.

Yanmars are good, but IMO they are built to run at higher rpms.
    A few years ago I pored over many,many power curve charts,and the Kubotas ALWAYS put out more torque at lower rpms than Yanmars.

I was looking at Kubotas...stumbled on this....hope it doesn't stir the pot again..

http://www.betamarinenc.com/Hybrid.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.