New here and was hoping to get some info - want an RC boat of my Champion 187

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by domb1972, Apr 21, 2015.

1. domb1972

domb1972 New Member

Hello yall

I come from an R/C car background I dont have any R/C boat exp. However I am also a Black Bass tournament angler as well and I want an RC boat of my real bass boat its a 04 Champion 187 . I seen a company called international hobbies made a Skeeter bass boat back in the day I have spent the last 15 years trying to find one to buy and the guys who have em wont let em go. I found a guy who said he was the original owner of the company and would be building them again but I can not get an email reply. So here is the deal I want someone to make me my boat I want it about 36" long I will be running a brushless electric outboard on it . I got Cash can anyone point me to a guy who would take on this project?

Thanks in advance
    Dom

2. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

Boat Build

I made the model steamboat for the John Fitch Steamboat Museum, the first steamboat in commercial service, Philadelphia 1790. That model is fully functional with radio control, and works on the water in addition to static display in the museum. Please have a look at their website. Where can I get a picture or plans for the boat you want to have built?

3. domb1972

domb1972 New Member

thanks

Thanks for the reply , thats the problem there is no plans no other company besides international hobbies have ever made one. I have pics of the 04 Champion 187 bass boat or youcan google it to get an idea let me know if its somthing you could do if so we can talk about process, cost , etc... thanks Dom

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What does International Hobbies have to say about it ?

5. domb1972

domb1972 New Member

I was trying to buy one from the guy who has the molds all he replied was he should have some this summer i have emailed him since and have gotten no reply . Im not looking to copy his boat its a skeeter bass boat mine is a champion two different hull designs . I would be fine with buying one of his molds , i went to his web site placed an order it said to call a number on the invoice to arrange payment i called the number and its no good . Number dont work so sent another email and as of today still no reply . His name is Ken . I understand he said this summer and i have no problem paying now to ensure i get one this summer but he wont reply .

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Domb, I have built a lot of RC boats. I might (I say might) be interested in doing the one that you want. It can be done in wood or glass.

What is it that you want your boat to do? Are you primarily interested in speed or merely scale performance? There are a lot of variables here.

A glass replica model will cost a lot more than a wooden model. That is because to do it right, a plug must be built, then a mold, then a layup of the model. Wood is lighter and stronger on a pound for pound basis and a lot less labor to the finished product.

Do you want it to be an inboard, outboard, or even a jet? Many questions to resolve. A brushless electric will need a lot of battery power to drive a 36 inch boat impressively. That is do able, of course, but a lot of input goes into initial design and layout. There is scale weight, or not scale weight, Prop experimentation, top side treatment, and much more. You'll probably need a more substantial ESC and motor than is common in RC cars and trucks if you want the boat to go fast.

If you are serious about this then let us know. You can be assured that it would not be a nickel and dime project.

7. domb1972

domb1972 New Member

Im serious however depending on price i would want the rights to the molds. If im paying its only fair , i know for a Fact there is a market for this boat. Not just on the rc side but for the anglers side.