i need info on my 1930's peterborough please

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by sethb, Apr 20, 2009.

1. sethb

sethb Junior Member

hey, i recently bought a 1930's wooden peterborough to restore and sell. thats all i was told when i bought it...two of my relatives are wooden boat fanatics and are familiar with peterboroughs but couldnt identify mine. ive searched for info on it since last summer when i got it for 200$(i was told by numerous people that was relatively cheap??)..it came with a plate but the previous owner painted the entire boat, including the plate..and i guess the plate was wood too..so when i sanded the paint off i just got a blank plate w/o any info...its 12-14 feet, bronze nails, ribbing on the inside, when i bought it it was painted green with black seats
    ...if you know anything about this, including a more accurate year, what model, what a good asking price range would be once its refurbished, or anything else related can you please tell me?thanks-seth

2. rich_solvey9838

rich_solvey9838 Junior Member

petersborough boat

I have one it looks the same.
    It was my grand dad's he had it made in 1958, it's called a Fishermans Ulitity,
    It's made of strip cedar, not white oak.

The first thing you need to do is get the boat an a level sturdy serface.
    Get your relatives to show you how to make a set of mold for the inside that can support the hull and help keeping it's shape.
    If you would go to this site you can see some petersborough boats and get some history trentsevernantiqueboats.com/builders, also if you search peterboruogh boats you can find the site for Petersborough, Canada's boat collector and boat show site. it has a picture of one just like ours and it was restore by a man and his 16 year old son.

Mine is in as bad of shape as yours, and I have a pro tutoring me on how to restore it, if you'd like we can do this togetther I will relay step by step what I'm doing, and it may help you.

I'm not going to use poly, I'm going to apoxy mine to restore the rigidty, and seal it making it water tight, and I can show all the bronze nails without them leaking, not to mention I won't have to soak it before I take it on the river, That's what I use to do, because it would seep in so much I had to bail more than I could fish.

Sorry so long winded, but I'm excited to here your going to restore that old boat. Good luck we'll chat again

3. sethb

sethb Junior Member

wow..this is amazing..im going crazy right now!!!ive been searching for these facts for so long and i thought I had the only boat of this model or something!!
    i'll go check that website out right now..
    thats a good idea with the apoxy too!!
    if it's not too much trouble relaying the information from the tudor, then it'd be awsome
    thanks so much, Seth

4. rich_solvey9838

I made my frame yesteday and covered it with a canopy I don't have a garage or shop, so I had to put up the canopy to keep off the dew and try to avoid so much humidity, we have alot of that here in SC,
    Will keep you up to date, I 'll send you pictures if I can figure out how to get them on here.
    I'm a labor kind of guy, not computer guy, just know how to search mostly.
    Not stupid just old ha ha

5. sethb

sethb Junior Member

yeah..i just use a few tarps and firewood to hold it down..
    haha, im the same way...like a 80yr old stuck in a 16 yr old's body...i even had to ask my dad how to get the pictures from the camera to the computer, then onto here

6. rich_solvey9838

covering the boat

If you have it sanded down you might think about putting temporary post around to hold tarps up off of it so air can carry away moisture.

I scraped some of the old paint off today i gotta get a fan it was almost 90 outside and I know it was at close to 100 in there.

I feel it's gonna take along time to scrape off the old paint and varnish, it has 3 different colors over the original varnish.

good luck

7. rich_solvey9838

for got to ask did you check out the website?

8. sethb

sethb Junior Member

good idea, i didnt think of that..but ive been getting water stains so that might help..
    wow..that's nice and warm haha
    yeah i used something called "zip-strip" and a chisel, the paint and varnish come right off!then ive been repetitively sanding it aswell to get the last of the varnish, and paint stains off, and to smooth it out before i apoxy it.

i tried to go to the website but it said something like it was "forbidden"

9. rich_solvey9838

i'll check the site later, I get to go to work today, so I'll let you know I may have given the wrong info.
    I sanded and scraped all dat yesterday, I got a few layers off, been digginf crud out of the cracks with a bent fork, fingers are sore, but worth it in the end i'm sure, I'll get back to you later

10. sethb

sethb Junior Member

ok thanks
    wow nice, it definitly will be worth it too, atleast from my perspective

11. dhenry

dhenry New Member

Just try this without the /builders at the end trentsevernantiqueboats.com