I need help - weatherproof cedar clear coat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by shapeshifter, Aug 17, 2011.

1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter New Member

My grandmother passed away and I was in charge of designing her cross. It is made of ceder. It is in the ground already but the stuff I put on it is not holding up to the weather. I need to know what will hold up in all sorts of weather and time. Something that has a shine but holds up in sun, snow and rain etc. I appreciate any help I get. I apologize that this has nothing to do with boats, but I thought this would be the best place to come because boats ate in the water. Thanks everyone.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I would go with Sikkens, Cetol 1, 077 Cedar simply because it's easy to apply, looks great and doesn't need sanding before reapplying, ever. You will need 3 coats in the beginning and then 1 or 2 more coats each year depending on the level of exposure.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.