plastic staples

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by chandler, Jul 8, 2006.

1. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Has anyone here ever tried plastic staples to align and hold strip planking? And if so ; what were the results and the manufacturer?

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

3. woodworkingman

woodworkingman Junior Member

4. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Tad off topic but I noticed the "where do I find bronze" question comes up a lot.Spotnail nail has a bronze 3/16 staple for Pneumatic. I'm a hard wood guy and mostly use 1/4 crown for small stuff but in basements and baths and such(wet areas and high moisture) I use the 3/16 bronze staples. Basically acts same as the 18 gauge 1/4 crown. Since I basically strip plank for a living! I know they work well. I have a specific gun that shoots them just into the side of the planks at a 25 degree angle so they can be seen when next board butts into it.

Anyway just sharing

Barry

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I use monel staple in these locations. They're harder and shoot into denser materials easier.

6. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Do they have any Monel staples in thicker than t50 type formats? Love to find them if they did! Some days I'm sweating bullets shooting through something like a 7/8 mahogany or walnut! I do use Arrow monel 9/16 to 1/2 crown for tacking tar paper on an old hemlock sub floor for example, but that's only at 1/2" length. I need a Monel in beefy 2 inch long format, there's always cleats but nothing beats the grab of a staple.

Barry

7. PAR

They're not as easy to find as stainless, but If seen them for 18A and 25A, as well as the much more common T-50. You're better off with a specialty supplier, like NailGunDepot or similar.

8. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Yeah for my day job I kinda have to stick with what's readily available, as it is know I'm being much more prudent than most in these situations, but for something you and your passengers are gonna depend on ya gotta source the right stuff.

Thanks!

Barry

9. PAR

If you have a big need, (again) you'll need to order bulk from a specialty supplier. I try to anticipate these needs, getting one job to absorb any future needs, with a bulk purchase. An example was a lapstrake I did not long ago, that got all new bottom planks. It needed 3,500 assorted fasteners and quite a few sheets of plywood. My price breaks are substantial if I can buy a whole pallet of plywood, so I did and the fasteners also got a big price break at 5,000, so . . . The project billing permitted me to recover 70% of the plywood and 95% of the fastener costs, for use on other projects.

10. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Yeah that's kinda why for day job I stick to local supply. When your doing floors your ordering thousands of sq ft and boxes of 5000 packs of staples. But never thought about just getting a pallet for the boat stuff, probably way cheaper pending on thickness of course! Unless they keep pallets same size in marine grade? Example if I buy pallets of 3/4 it's 40 sheets, but 1/4 is like 55 I think? And I do get contractor prices and have Mcbeaths round the corner which helps! That's where I get my more specialty things like teak and wiggle board. Or wiggle board and teak to put together for curved stairs and such. Which leads to another off topic question you'd be the guy to answer! Haha do they use lyptus in marine applications? I know with its man made varying grain it's a popular wood for home building cause each of the different grains and colors are tailored to duplicate a lot of the more exotics. I had a rosewood job few months ago that if we used rosewood stair parts woulda been through the roof, so they used pink lyptus instead, and man ya could barely tell difference.

Barry

11. PAR

Don't know really, though I suppose you could use it (lyptus), as epoxy can cure most any issue.

Plywood pallets come in varying amounts, depending on how the supplier breaks out the shipments, which are usually two high on a trailer or in a container. I too get about 55 sheets at 1/4" and the difference is significant. Retail on a BS-1088 Joubert sheet is about $85, so 55 of these is $4,675, but I'm paying about 3K for the same stuff at the wholesale level for full pallets. It has to be loaded as a full pallet too, though my guy knows me well enough to let me look through the stack, if I'm neat about it.

12. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Omg don't even get "me" started on selection! And every year it gets worse. Every part I use is shown and in your face, so some days I literally just have to walk out and either go elsewhere or wait for next shipment! Thanks again for taking my questions!

Barry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.