I need advices from self sailboat builders

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by asolmaz, Sep 3, 2004.

1. asolmaz

asolmaz Junior Member

Dear Friends,
    I want to build my own sailboat aprx. 12 mt.

1-which designers boat designs are smart choice for buying?
    2-What are the important points for this desicion?
    3-Can you advice some websites from experienced self boat builders ?
    4-Can you advice some websites about generally boat building ( glass-fibre)?
    5-What do you think about cost advantage for building my own boat instead of buying new one ore second hand?

I need all information about my new adventure...
    If you want you can send me email : asolmaz@next-group.com

thanks

2. seamonkey

seamonkey Junior Member

asolmaz....salaam!....Probably the first thing I would suggest is that you decide some priorities!..........Do you want the boat for racing ,or cruising,,and to what degree do you want accomodations?.......so far you seem to only have decided to have a 12m sailboat.............next,in terms of building or buying used or new--this depends on your priorities,which include questions such as ---do I prefer to spend more $ to get on with my sailing adventure sooner?....or do I need to be more resourceful and either build or restore a boat??In building a boat yourself,especially that size,with no background experience,,you would be entering a jungle which some people never escape!!!--------------Personally,I have made a career to restore older boats---this is a good,resourceful way to get a boat on the water soonest,,while following a strategy of maintenance/upgrades.
    One important clue on buying a used boat is to NEVER rely on a marine survey that has been paid for by the seller!-------caveat emptor!!!!

3. Garrett

Garrett Junior Member

I am currently restoring a Blue Jay. Yes, it's little amusing on a site of Pro designers and builders but it is my first foray into this area of sailing and as with swimming I tend to get the toe wet before diving in.
    I'm also designing (or trying) a 5 meter racing dinghy which I will build in the near future -When funds and experience permit-
    As with Asolmaz, I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice.

I do have two questions currently,

Is there a ratio range on where the -in this case- daggerboard is placed along the boat, or another way put, how far aft of the mast will the daggerboard go?

is there also a ratio between mast length and draft? and would it be valid to assume in general that a longer daggerboard would make a boat more stable if sailing with less crew and hence less displacement? conversly a shorter board with more displacement?

Thank you

Alix

4. seamonkey

seamonkey Junior Member

Garrett...if your questions relate specifically to the bluejay ,,I'd suggest you try to find a website for the bluejay class,,or some plans.........otherwise for general design questions,I'd try posting this question in the design,rather than build section of this forum......cheers.