help required - laser engraved gift idea

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by G_Taylor, May 13, 2015.

1. G_Taylor

G_Taylor New Member

Hi all,

I am after a bit of advice/help and I am hoping someone can help me out.

We are an art company based in the UK and are soon launching a new service that uses a laser to engrave various materials. What I think would look very cool would be to engrave some boat designs onto black anodised aluminium so they can be hung on the walls as pieces of art and given to boating enthusiasts as presents.

I would like to offer this service to designers based in the UK so that they would send me the plans of a particular design that they are building for a client and I would then engrave that design so that the designer/builder could then give that to the client as a farewell gift on completion of the build. Personally I think that this would be a nice touch by the designer/builder and something the client would treasure.

So I am after a sample of a working design, even a section would be fine, so that I can do a test piece to see how it comes up then use as a sample when offering the service to various designers. With this in mind, are there any designers who would be willing to send me a section of a design so I can try it? If it could be in CAD format that would be good and then I can import it directly into my software and engrave it.

Hopefully this idea will be a success so I will be able to do the engraving on behalf of the designer and then send it to them for their client. One very important part of this that needs to be stated up front is the actual IP/copyrights associated with the design. This would remain the property of the designer and all I would be effectively is a subcontractor doing the work on their behalf so designer would still retain all of the IP rights (I would not use that design for anyone or anything else). I would be more than happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement before hand saying that the design is copyrighted/trademarked etc.

If anyone is interested in helping me out or finding out further info about pricing etc. then please don’t hesitate to contact me. I am based in Essex and will be more than happy to either send some engraving samples through the post or actually visit you if you are close enough.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Cheers,

Graham

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

There are many art libraries available to you right here on the internet. You can find a variety of maritime themed drawings by searching those libraries. Printing shops have access to all that kind of thing. Many of them subscribe to such services and might very well help you. Screen printing shops also use library services for art work.

3. G_Taylor

G_Taylor New Member

Thanks for the reply - I will continue my Google search

So, do people think it is a good idea and is anyone interested?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.