I may have the rarest skiff..........

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Homarus, May 22, 2009.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't trust Wikipaedia to get anything accurate. Nothing against them, they're just wrong more often then I like and as a result, can't be trusted.

A good enough magnet will attract even the more "shy" of stainless steels. A big rare earth will likely find enough attraction to be noticeable.

Look folks, it has to be aluminum, we all know this. Any small, sheet metal skiff, with it skin "about the thickness of a penny" clearly can't be stainless and remain light weight.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Nevertheless, iron is what magnets are attracted to, and all 400 series I've dealt with were highly magnetic... and all 300 series were not (apparently) attracted to magnets at all (though there is a small amount, which is news to me)
    They build commercial fryers and ranges from magnetic 400 series stainless, since it's cheaper and won't rust where lots of grease is present.
    Anyway, there must be a big difference between 300 and 400 series if a magnet attracts one like iron and the other like lead.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A average magnet will attract to 304, while seeming to not on 316. A good rare earth or very large magnet will attract 316, but it has to be a good one. If you have one of those anchor retriever magnets, try it on a piece of 316. You'll feel an attraction. Okay, not like a piece of mild steel, but definably some attraction.

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I picked Wiki because it has a simpler description than most other places I looked at. A powerful enough magnet will have an attraction but your general magnet that you might carry around in a pocket will simply fall off of it (300 series). As noted in the text...other series/types of stainless do still have an attraction to a so-so magnet.

Here is the MSDS of stainless steel 300 series wire Note that the bottom ingredient is IRON

http://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/004019.pdf

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I suspect that deep drawn stainless would have cracked years ago. Another vote for Ally.

6. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Paul,

Wikipaedia is a lot like internet forums. Of course, you know that. Anyone can contribute. Caution is advised, but it is still a valuable resource. Much like "official" school history books where caution is also advised.

Aluminum is my vote also. It's usually apparent just looking at it and tapping the two make a sound that is a bit different. Ford did make a SS 1936 sedan once. As I recall, it cost them about $50K then. A bit more today. Wonder what happened to it?

7. ancient kayaker

Interesting story of the SS auto. Here's another fun car story.

In the 50's in the UK, the slightly notorious Lady Docker of the UK had two gold-plated Daimler cars built. Her husband Lord Docker was charman of Birmingham Small Arms at the time, also its car-making subsidiary Daimler. No business connection between that Daimler and Daimler-Benz by the way, although the story of the identical names is fascinating. In those far-off days Daimler rivalled Rolls-Royce.

At our wedding Teresa and I had a purpose-built Daimler Wedding Car. If you could see it you would understand why I capitalized. Wasn't gold-plated though.

8. Zed

Zed Senior Member

PICTURES! Please :D

9. ancient kayaker

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

11. mark775

mark775 Guest

A reason the gent might believe it to be stainless is that it is still stained less. People just don't realise how "stained less" aluminum is - In the "birthplace of the winds" I have seen wrecked WWll aircraft on Kiska, Amchitka, Semisopochnoi, and Buldir Islands that looked like somebody threw a pop can out yesterday (in another test, pop cans thrown out in the ocean last "a very long time"). On the other hand, one could reach out and grab a handful of Marston matting, jeeps, subs, ships, and antiaircraft guns on Kiska. Don't recall any stainless other than on Amchitka (birthplace of Greenpeace) from another era, but this place is a true weather test!

12. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Why thanks! I actually mean't of the O.Ps SS boat! but I will take the Daimler folly :D

Thnks ;)

13. ancient kayaker

A stainless Ford is an oxymoron. My '92 Taurus had a stainless exhaust system that rotted out in 7 years: the non-stainless sytem in my GM van lasted just as long.

14. Zed

Zed Senior Member

but I bought it because it was shinny! I like shinny things... LOL :D

15. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I had a SS 14ft row boat for a while , it may have been built after WW2 with surplus stuff.

It was finely formed , but the rivets were not of a good grade , or didn't like being hammered on and departed rapidly on immersion in sea water,

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.