I have a small 16 foot bristol powerboat can i remove the ribs

Discussion in 'Stability' started by glema104, Dec 27, 2007.

1. glema104

glema104 Giovanni

I have a bristol 16 powerboat and I was wondering if i could take out the ribs all together. they run from bow to stern. or could i replace them with some that run port to starbourd... What I want to do it actually cut out the center of them so that I can put in a gas tank...

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

So, you're asking if you can remove the longitudinal structural elements of your boat. Sure, so long as you put them or something with similar properties back in. Of course the hull will distort if they all come out at once, so you'll need temporary bracing.

I'm not sure how your Bristol is framed, but there are two general trains of thought in this regard: athwartship members (ribs) or longitudinal stiffeners (possibly what you have).

The two can be mixed, but it's not often done in small craft (though common in larger metal commercial boats). If you have a longitudinal system, you'd be best advised against removing and changing to a more conventional athwartship arrangement.

Pictures would be very helpful. Tanks of just about every shape and size can be installed in the most difficult of places. Think about it before you drag out the reciprocating saw.

3. glema104

glema104 Giovanni

pics of my boat

Attached Files:

4. glema104

glema104 Giovanni

this ihat I want to do

The Black is what I want to cut out and the red is what I want to put back. You understand. And put a gas tank with a v in the bottum in that place....

Attached Files:

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Why not use a bladder type fuel tank and leave the structure alone?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.