Overhead fiberglass console project

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mac-vw, Apr 26, 2007.

1. mac-vw

mac-vw New Member

This is not a boat question but I figured that this might be a good place to come for some advice. I want to make an overhead console to mount some audio video equipment in my 73 VW beetle. My question is how do I make a contour mold of the area that I want the console to mount to. In other words how do I make the bottom section of the console that will mount to the roof of my car just below the headliner (it needs to be a strip that runs down the center of the headliner approximately 14 inches wide by about 2 to 3 feet long). The beetle has a very curved headliner and I need the console to follow the curve of the roof line. I will weld metal mounting brackets directly to the sheet metal of the roof, these will lie just below the headliner and this will allow me to mount the console by screwing through the headliner into the mounting brackets (replacing the headliner is another project I will be getting to after the welding is done). I was looking for some advise on what the best products/ techniques would be to make the contour mold when working in the overhead position (or if it is even possible) and what prep I should do to the area so that I will be able to remove the fiberglass mold once I have made it. Any advise I could get on this subject would be most appreciated.

2. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

use cardboard cut to the contour you are needing to make a template. Cut the wood frame to that shape and make a box the shape you need. Cover the box frame in thin wood like doorskin plywood. This will give you the shape you need. Make your mold from the above assembly after it if finished to perfection. Follow my thread on http://www.modelpowerboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186

to see how to make the mold.

JIM