Corpse!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by CDK, Jan 18, 2009.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The fishing boat came in earlier this week. About 22 ft., wood, small cabin. small diesel engine. It struck me as odd that it was anchored quit near the jetty, where moorings are, much more convenient if you want to stretch your legs on firm ground than swinging around a single anchor.
    But it is hard the fathom someone's intentions and I've learned to mind my own business. This is an idyllic spot in summer, but in the cold season there are all sorts of weird characters, poachers, smugglers and poor fishermen among them. It is one of the few places here where the shore can be reached by car without spectators.
    Look at www.puntakriza.com for the general picture.
    The engine was idling, which by itself is not alarming because some of these guys have a belt driven refrigerator. I walked by a few times, but saw no movement on board, so expected the guy to sleep in the cabin. The weather was quiet, at least here in the bay.

Two days later, while I wasn't there, a local fisherman saw a floating object near the jetty and called the police and an ambulance. They pulled the corpse out, between 40 and 50 years of age, dressed in nothing but a T-shirt, and towed the boat to the nearest city.

I can't figure this out. Once I fell from the jetty during a violent storm in early January, so I know what that feels like. Nobody decides to go for a swim in water of 12 degrees C. and certainly not dressed in just a T-shirt. And he could have grabbed any of the ropes there to pull himself on a boat or to the nearby shore.

2. Deadeye

Deadeye Bender of Nails

Going out for a late-night whizz and the ole ticker packed it in ? Or maybe it stopped when he hit the water.
    Definitely one of those things that makes you scratch your head.

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

When his heart gave out, or was giving out, she got up and left. He might have been trying too hard to catch her, or not hard enough...
    Mysteries are far more enchanting when they aren't solved.
    Did you ever see anything in the paper?
    Get the numbers off the boat and look im' up?

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

This did really upset me because it happened almost in my front yard. So a thought a lot about it.
    If I was in a small boat with a rope in the prop or some other submerged problem and the wind pushed me towards the end of a bay, I would drop the anchor to stay clear of the rocks, but close to the jetty. Having no neoprene suit or spare cloths I would take everything off except my T-shirt because it would give some protection against the cold. The rest would be waiting for me dry when I would climb back in the boat.
    And I would not consider the possibility that my heart would stop before I could carry out my plan.....

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Sounds about it CDK, in a situation like that we tend to do silly things without a thought, especially if we've had an active life, have always done things like that (sounds like that sort of guy) and still think we're young! I tend to do it quite often, so do a lot of the people I know! Stupid things I mean without a thought, the wife often loooks at me as I'm lying in a heap on the ground and sez something along the lines of "ain't as young or as fit as we used to be are we?" If he was on his own he wouldn't have anybody to pull him out of it or tell not to be such a silly awld fool!

6. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

My Heart stopped in the early morning. I did not realize I was having a heart attack until I began to pass out. I was 57.
    I was lucky we made it to the hospital.
    That guy, out there by himself, had no chance at all. Even if sombody was with him, the Ambulance would have had a helluva time getting to him.
    It was his turn!

Some of us on this board have seen a lot of Corps's in different configurations. Chunks, Parts n' pieces.
    I think of us as Bugs and the Windshied is coming.
    Dont let it get to you. Be happy it aint you!

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

thud' in that case stay away from the highway!

8. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

you are all wrong, it was just a scene from the Bourne ID

9. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

In Alaska during the crime ridden days of the early 70's we'd find a Corpse in a Snow berm nearly every spring. Normally Whores, but sometimes....it was people who hung out with the wrong kind of crowds.

Whoosh, I guess I didnt get that one. I dont know what the Bourne ID is. Sorry if I missed a good one. I'm way out in the country you know.

1 person likes this.
  10. Guest62110524

was famous book and film,
    first story was a guy pulled out of the water, he recovered, great spy thriller, read it,"way out in the Boonies:)
    when i was in Siberia friends man went missing, they found him in thaw hands tied to a tree, wot a terrible
    ending

11. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Robert Ludlum: the Bourne Identity, 1980. Also a major movie; the Jason Bourne character was later used in another film, maybe even two, but not as good as the first one.

12. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

CDK you've had an interesting career in exciting places. If you ever wind up in a City you'll be frustrated for fulfillment.
    No trees to tie the guy to, or big ponds to drownd him in. Just wherever he's standing when he gets the hit.
    I really like it way out in the sticks.

13. CDK

CDK retired engineer

You're right Thudpucker, I am frustrated in a city, even a small one. Tablets with a diuretic to keep my blood pressure within acceptable boundaries. Constantly looking for a tree to pee against, finding them only in crowded parks.

14. pkoken

pkoken S/V Samadhi V

At least there was a body. I have seen an unmanned sailboat between Midway and Guam (back in 1992)... we'll never know what happened there.

15. Guest62110524

so many fall in, often I know I go on deck at night, and never hook on, I KNOW I should but there you are, guess we are all this way a bit
    i haver never seen a drowned human, lice and other things make v short work once a body sinks, nice topic this:(
    I actually feel free in Ru, , nobody cares what I do and there are some very big areas where humans aint
    Anybody know what the best lures are for the razor gang? those fast pelagics we have off our coast 27 south 157 east? cheap they must be

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.