I dont know anything about working with fiberglass

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mordacil, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mordacil

mordacil Junior Member

at least not much. aside from building my raft, I also make costumes, and I want to start working with fiberglass to make moulded armor. I knew that fiberglass was used in many boat hulls and that brought me here. I just want to know what type of fiberglass cloth and resin is teh cheapest. Ive been looking at onlince catalogs and they are measured in ounces and inches and but ive never seen them in reality or even online photos. All I want is the cheapest stuff I can find that will hold a shape when it sets. I got this idea for fiberglass armor from this webpage. http://halo.bungie.org/misc/cb_mcsuit.html?tutpage=6
    He doesnt say what type of fiberglass cloth he used or where to buy it.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I suppose mat is the cheapest. It is the loosest, therefore the thickest, and hence the heaviest once saturated (thick means stiff, and polyester resin is cheaper than glass by weight).
    If I were you. I'd ask distributors for samples of glass in various configurations (cloth, mat, and woven roving) and weights. Once familiar with the options, surf online ads for deals on used material. It may be that the cheapest glass will be the one you find for the best price that is also available second-hand.

Alan

3. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

I'd definitely check out ebay for cheap prices on glass. Usually you'll find several different weights from the same seller, and I'm sure he can help you. I use 1/2oz for covering r/c giant scale planes, but would use 8 or 9 oz for a deck

4. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Most of the costume stuff I've seen is vacu-formed thermo plastics like the Star Wars Storm Troopers.

http://www.tk560.com/stormtrooper.html

Ultra light weight and with good molds reproducable. Anything made like that belt thingy in glass/epoxy would be a one-off labor intensive process.

You could make them with styrofoam plugs and light glass then use acetone to melt away the foam leaving the part. Bit messier but would result in a lighter part.

5. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

This site shows all the stuff you might need:
    http://www.solidsolutions.com.au/
    It has prices in AUD but it will be useful for comparison.

You do not beed to use glass cloth. You can get cheap polyester fabrics at the local dressmaker shop that will do the job if strength is not an issue. It is much easier to work with than fibreglass. You can get a wide range of polysester fabrics. Some will stretch so conform will to a curved surface. If you have tight, complex curves then you will need to use small pieces where the curves are tight.

Other things that might be useful to know. Polyester resin is not compatible with polystyrene foam. If you use this as a plug then you have to use epoxy resin. It is more expensive. You can use polyester resin with polystyrene foam.

The web site noted has a huge range of stuff if you want to get into modelling. You might be able to find a similar place near you.

Rick W.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Rick---- read the next to last paragraph---- you meant, of course, you CAN'T use polyester with polystyrene foam. Epoxy is completely compatable with polystyrene foam, you meant to say.

A.

7. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Alan
    I contradict myself.

I meant to say that polyester resin is compatible with polyurethane foam.

Rick W.

8. Go-Man

Go-Man Trusts In Thrust

where to

I also know nothing about fiberglass. im building a boat with fiberglass, i planned to build the frame and stringers then screw 7/32 plywood (because its flexible) on and then apply fiberglass over it, would that work? if so i dont have a clue how to do it:confused:

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yes, that would work. The question is, how well will it work, based on the boat, the quality of the ply, and the glass and resin used.
    Giving more specifics is important in order for anyone to help you do it right.
    The more detailed info, the better. Boat type, size, intended usage, budget limits if any, etc..

Alan

10. Go-Man

Go-Man Trusts In Thrust

Anwsers, good plywood, resin and cloth (isnt the process that you dip cloth like material in a resin and lay it on your project?) boat type= Cateraman,
    boat size=14'x10',
    runners= 2'x2'; 6' apart,
    usage=not much (hard to transport)
    bugdet is to a minimun but if needed: as alows.
    did that help? i need a list of prices and weight if possible, to decide a engine, if you need more info fire away! Thanks!

11. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Generally the dry cloth is layed over/draped on hull then wetted out.

Nice to have you aboard.

Tim

12. Go-Man

Go-Man Trusts In Thrust

Thanks. Where do you get the resin?

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I've kinda got the idea. You wish to build a power catamaran, and your two hulls, which you call runners, are 2 x 2 x 14 ft. You are looking at using 1/4" plywood and you're not sure about the engine.
    Do you have some idea of the kind of speed you want to achieve? The faster and more powerful, the stronger the hulls must be. 1/4" ply would suffice if using a Minn Kota electric, for example, but 10 hp is going to get a cat up to speeds which would require a thicker, heavier-framed bottom.
    You said "Usage== not much", but I meant what are you going to use it for?
    What is it's purpose?

Alan

14. alan white

alan white Senior Member

West Marine is based in California. They have an online catalog with everything you'll need.

15. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Go-Man,

West Marine also has a hard-copy "Master Catalog". Worth sending for. They send mine for free. Tell them you are building & outfitting a boat and they will send one. Very informative.

You may want to get the Gougen Brothers book also. Alot of useful building info for epoxy work. Forget the title even though I just saw a old copy of mine when searching for reading material.

Take your time, research thoroughly. The planning stage should be enjoyable & a learning experience.

Take care & Go-Man! :)

Tim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.