I don't get what was so great about Frank Lloyd Wright's designs

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Jan 19, 2014.

1. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

Well, talking about purpose built architecture, what do you think about the Einstein observatory near Potsdam (1924)? Architect was Mr. Mendelsohn...

Attached Files:

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Frank Lloyd Wright is significant for a number of reason, he was the first internationally recognized American Architect. As a human being he was very deficient, abusing everyone around him, so much so the really large commissions he always sought were elusive (iow, few would hire him and trust him to do a large costly project), so he spent most of his life doing houses. The styles of small houses however represented a landmark and many of his ideas are still used today on small houses; great rooms, open floor plan, lots of large windows for natural lighting, etc.

He only had a few large buildings to his credit, showing his genius for design. But as a person and a businessman he is a failure, he had a monumentally large ego (which he also boasted about), he rarely honored contracts, hardly ever paid his bills unless sued, was abusive of the contractors and his clients, he had constant affairs and went though a serious of marriages, often cheating on his new wife the same day as his wedding. he abused his employees so badly no one would work for him, and one servant once "snapped" and during a big family gathering locked all the doors and windows to the house with everyone inside and torched it, killing many of the guests.

Too bad he could not control his compulsions and be a better buisness man, there might be a lot more examples of his designs around.

Also, he was no engineer and many of his designs were very structurally deficient, requiring many repairs and up grades after they were built. It was his ego that would not allow him to seek out the technical expertise he should have used to make his idea more durable.

So despite his ideas and his much celebrated genius, as a person he was a total and utter failure, a rather discussing excuse of a human being. And unfortunately, many modern architects pattern their behavior after FLW, and are also difficult to work with. they stupidly see him as a "success" (ignoring his obvious personality flaws) and someone to pattern their own life after.

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

If he was a total and utter failure, he must certainly hold the record for duration in that category. He was busy until he died.

As far as the fire goes, FLW was out of town at the time -

from wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Lloyd_Wright

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

The Wiki page on the Royal Corinthian is pretty accurate. Having used the Club on a number of occassions I can assure you the scale is very human and it is quite well thought out. For 1931 in the UK that was fairly radical, nice curved glass windows. Not sure that was common in the States then, Germany perhaps.

Here's one link

http://www.joseph-emberton.co.uk/RCYC.html

I suspect WW2 probably saw the destruction of quite a few modernist buildings in Europe. That observatory is one, for sure.

I am less convinced by FLW's furniture, it just does not quite work for me. The buildings are generally better examples of his work, especially the Guggenheim. But then I think Le Corbusier's best work was his last - the church at La Ronchamp. You can't knock Gaudi for engineering though, how to build high hollow towers in stone as in the Sagrada Familia, even though it is only about half finished even now!.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Exactly.

The leaky roofs and windows were just the results of FLW getting ahead of the technology of the day.

I would not fault his designs for that, any more than I would a beautiful yacht design with a leaky skylight or bad engine.

Next thing you know a boat is a bad design because because it's propeller once chewed up some poor manatee.

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

He was not a failure as an Architect, but was a failure with almost all of his personal relationships. And he was always in financial trouble, unable to manage his financial affairs responsibly, no matter how much income he could produce.

He would have been even more successful had he been more disciplined as a businessman and more discreet with his personal affairs rather than boast about them in public. this country was not ready to hear about such depraved behavior in public at the time. Now I doubt anyone would care.

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Maybe I'll force myself to take the tour of the "honey comb" house at nearby Stanford U.

I'm currently working on a major remodel of large house with a seemingly unlimited budget.

Not FLW styled, but kinda similar big rambling "Ranch" estate with lots of constructed outdoor space.

Looking over mail order floor plans from the 1920s, they seem to have "space planned for appliances" with "cooler" in kitchen and "laundry" in most homes with 3 or more beds.

Not finding any good floor plans for any older upscale custom houses online.

Marin Civic Center is kinda interesting.

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

If you cannot get to a privately owned FLW house for a tour, there is always the Biltmore hotel.

http://www.arizonabiltmore.com/About/History.aspx
    Photo Tour:
    http://www.arizonabiltmore.com/Photo-Tour/Default.aspx

9. The Loftsman

The Loftsman The Loftsman

FLW Designs

One mans meat is another mans poison! it don't do nothing for me but everyone sees things different and it is their own perception I guess.
    Good or bad he is remembered and noticed.

Cheers

10. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

I've been in FLW houses and my beef is that he didn't allow you to hang any pictures on his artsy walls. He was such an egotist that he couldn't stand competing with an art collection....

11. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

If you have a ranch style home, do an Eichler..... Not a Wright.

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

goodwilltoall is on my ignore list - is he still posting all that religious stuff ??

13. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

That's an odd drift

14. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Has he gotten any further on his ark? Got to hand it to him for keeping on.

15. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

whats the point of this thread . is it some how related to boats.