I can't find good explanation of Flume Tanks

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Squidly-Diddly, Aug 2, 2009.

  1. Squidly-Diddly
    Joined: Sep 2007
    Posts: 1,859
    Likes: 150, Points: 63, Legacy Rep: 304
    Location: SF bay

    Squidly-Diddly Senior Member


    I take it they aren't actively pumping water from tank to tank to counter rolling.

    Are they just a tank of certain shape that is half full of water and that spans the beam?

    Do they have baffles?

    Any good sites that explain them?
  2. mark775

    mark775 Guest

    There was a "National Fisherman" some years back that had an article addressing "H" tanks on the tophouses of Newfoundland (I think) fishers. Let us know!
  3. jehardiman
    Joined: Aug 2004
    Posts: 3,360
    Likes: 774, Points: 113, Legacy Rep: 2040
    Location: Port Orchard, Washington, USA

    jehardiman Senior Member

    Basicly they are a damped pendulum tuned to be opposide the roll.

    The system is two tanks, filled with a given volume of water connected by a duct of fixed size with or without a pressure regulating system for the tanks.

    At rest, the water in the tanks is evenly split between the two as the water seeks it's own level. During rolling, water attemps to flow from the high side tank to the low side tank, but cannot flow quickly because of the regulation of the connecting duct as well as the distance to move the CM of the water. This causes a wave system in the tank with a given period regulated by the volume of water in the tank. By judicious control of the water volume and possibly pressure, the tank set can be made so the "low" tank just fills to maximum as the ship starts its roll back. This keeps weight on the new "high" side during the upward roll, damping the roll.

    It is important to remember that passive anti-roll tanks actualy reduce both initial and absolute stability and therefore must be considered in the stability calculations. In this way they are considerably different from active systems. Additionally, flume style anti-roll tanks can have considerable structural loading due to internal wave slap.

    The "U-tube" type of anti-roll tanks mentioned in the cited advertisement are simuliar except the duct/pipe between the tanks normally contains a flow regulating valve or device. Additionally, there are some other things stated in that advertisement that are not exactly correct when comparing the two types of anti-roll tanks. DNBEYR. YMMV.
    1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.