I Can't Do The Math

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ElGringo, Dec 23, 2016.

1. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Great idea.

2. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Well, I didn't get the building. The deal sounded good in the beginning, a 24 X 40 area inside a larger building. Today I found out that not only could I not fix the floor, I couldn't put up a wall around my area. Also if I wanted heat I would have to heat the whole building. Electricity and water were also on the same meter, and it went down hill from there. So, I am back to looking for a place to build.

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Good luck in the search, what are you going to build?
    A boat I hope! :D

4. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

I am borrowing ideas from several places as no one really has a plan that I like. It will be a catamaran around 20 feet in length but I am still undecided between a few things and will probably change my mind several time while building it. Boat builder Central has some Cat/Pontoon boats that I like the looks of some things. Bernd Kohler and Richard Woods have some things I like. Since most of my undecided parts are above deck, it may start out by looking like a stripped down pontoon boat with just hulls and deck.

5. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

I beam loads

I-beam, top & bottom are typical 1x2 (3/4 x 1.5 inch), beam web is 1/4 thick plywood. Beam overall dimensions 6 inch hi x 1.5 inch wide. Glued construction (best to have a 1/4 x 3/8 slot routed into the 1 x 2, insert plywood, glue properly.

Moment of inertia = 17.5 in^4
    Beam maximum bending moment at 1080 PSI allowable stress = 6300 inch-pounds.

This beam, with an unsupported span of 60 inches, will allow 420 pounds force as a concentrated center load when it reaches 1080 psi tensile/compression stress. This stress level is close to the maximum allowed for home building lumber.

6. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

Wow!, Thanks Fred. I know there are people on this forum that can do what seems incredible to me. I sometimes wish I had gone a different direction with my education.

7. Emerson White

Emerson White Junior Member

Probably be faster and cheaper to just use 3 2x6's. If you estimate that you'll have 4 x 200 lb people on that 4'x5' section of floor that's 50 lbs per square foot live load. I looked up the span table for southern Yellow pine and the lowest grade will get you there on 24" centers. http://www.southernpine.com/app/uploads/SPtable3_060113.pdf

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.