I can build your boats for you

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by Ceejay, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Ceejay

Ceejay Junior Member

HI all,

If anyone is interested in having fiberglass boats made to their own design, I would be interested in doing this.

Ideal for someone looking to manufacture and market hulls.

I am located in Sri Lanka where labor is much cheaper than the rest of the world and we are not faced with expenses do dispose of raw materials.

I am very flexible and am willing to work something out with interested parties.

As a security, I can offer to BUY a bare hull from you which can be used as a plug for a mould, I'll make the mould at my cost and make and ship a sample all at my cost if interested.

We can work out shipping costs etc before we embark on a project.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It wouldn't make any sense to buy a bare hull to take a mold, since the bare hull was made in an existing mold. Another problem, is that many Western countries are demanding that the production complies with environmental standards. It may be cheaper to dump toxic chemicals in the rivers, but not acceptable.

3. Ceejay

Ceejay Junior Member

It Would make sense for someone who already has a mould and is producing hulls in the USA for example if their hull costs them US$ 10,000 to produce and if I can have the same hull delivered to the USA for half that cost... the fact that they have an existing mould would be of little consequence. Fact still remains that I could produce it for less than half the price.

Just because it's cheaper to do something in another country, doesn't necessarily mean that it is illegal, unfair or environmentally damaging.

Commercial hazardous waste is removed from site, free of charge by the local environmental authority and is recycled. Does not mean we "dump toxic chemicals in the rivers" just means our government takes it away for free to ensure the environment is preserved.

Our labor is much cheaper than in "western countries" and we do not need to spend on heating our factories due to our warm climate.... all these contribute to us being able to produce something like a boat hull far cheaper than a "western country"... does not mean that it is wrong to do so !

Viksund boats (http://viksundboatasia.com/) amongst some other very high end brand boats hulls are made here in Sri Lanka as well as some of Sri Lanka's own brands.

Responses from those actually even remotely interested in getting something made, are welcome.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

More important, are you representing an established company, or is this an individual enterprise ?

5. Ceejay

Ceejay Junior Member

Thank you for a relevant response sir.

I am an individual looking to start a boat building enterprise with a foreign connection.

I have the industrial and financial backing and experience to develop this to any scale.

I am part of a family owned, 108 year old engineering company in Sri Lanka. We manufacture agricultural machinery and other industrial machines. www.jinasena.com

we also manufacture tires/tyres on a massive scale. Our brand of tyre has been awarded the Most Outstanding Exporter of Sri Lanka award by the National Chamber of Exporters of Sri Lanka (NCE) in 2007 and won the National Cleaner Production award in 2008, 2009 (NCC) Silver. The tyre company employs over 5000 people. http://www.loadstar.lk/about.cfm

However, I can understand one's trepidation to invest in a venture, with an "unknown entity" this is why I offer to produce and deliver the first samples at no cost to anyone seriously interested in a potential production deal

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I sent you a private message

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Boat manufacturing is hit or miss and you are a long way from the market.

Manufacturing the componenets that make up a boat is a better investment.

Established boatbuilders are always on the lookout for new, cheaper, better suppliers of equipment and hardware..

8. Ceejay

Ceejay Junior Member

I can indeed manufacture any castings, fabricated parts, extrusions etc for boat fixtures and fittings.

What ever the "distance from the market" If I can produce a given hull waaay cheaper than it would cost to produce in the USA or any other country, that is the advantage I am offering.

I am not offering to come up with new boat designs, which is understandably "hit or miss" I am offering to manufacture your own design... to produce the hulls much cheaper than you can in your country.

Viksund boats have been getting their boats manufactured in Sri Lanka for many years and are doing very well with it. Nothing hit or miss about it

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Expensive lightweight components like composite boarding gangways or composite superyacht deck cranes mighht be worth exploring.

http://www.multiplexgmbh.com/en/products/gangways

At present if I needed a small craft composite gangway I would use them...I know of no other

10. amorphisU

amorphisU New Member

It is also possible to order buidong of not expensive yacht in Eastern Europe. Especially regarding sailing yacht building.
    For example, building of sailing yachts of 18 m with all sailing eqiupments will cost you less then 70000 EUR http://sailing-yacht-building.com/img/1800/new-yacht_vs1800_ext01.jpg.
    Ukrainian yacht yards are located on the Black Sea region, so it is not diffucult to deliver it to Mediterranian sea without problems even for small yachts.
    I think this option is also must be considered by the clients.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The hull is a very small percentage of the cost of a finished boat. Also, it is the largest and most expensive to ship. Typically, it may be about 5% of the cost. Also, heating is not much of a problem in a large part of the Western World. For example the South of the USA and Europe. As a matter of fact, controlling temperature is cheaper in a colder climate. A hot shop will make it impossible to have enough time to work with resins. The ideal situation is a cooler shop for laminating, and then warming it up for curing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.