Boat Purchase

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by just_a_plain_av, Nov 18, 2006.

1. just_a_plain_av

just_a_plain_av New Member

With today's gas crunch, it seems an optimum time to purchase that toy that someone else is tired of. So, I've been watching e-bay for used boats and want to know before I take the plunge what to lookout for.

For example. I see a listing close to my home (Pennsylvania where it's gray and cloudy for 275 days out of the year) but it hasn't been winterized. The gentleman is suggesting that the successful bidder "hurries" and winterizes the boat. Well, the temp has been below freezing a couple of times already.

What do I look for or ask for when purchasing a used boat?

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum.

Thats a huge question. It hinges on any knowledge of boats you already posses & the type(s) of boat you are interested in getting.

Is the boat glass, aluminum, wood?

How large?

What type of motor(s)?

A little more precise info will let the members address what you need to be concerned with.

Here in Westmoreland County its going to be below freezing for at least four nights. Where are you at in PA?

Take care.

TGoz

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Personally I would not buy a boat under these conditions. I would wait tilll the bidding was over and then if its not sold and probably wont be, then start a reasonable discussion in a sensible manner. Freezing weather can crack the block and it is unlikely that you or any one else will be able to say for sure weather it has or has not got damage. It will have to be tried on the water. ( Perhaps thats why it is on ebay)

With your some what unusuall but refreshing opinion of fuel prices, you will not be short of power boats to look at.

4. just_a_plain_av

Thanks for the replies. The boat I'm looking for is a fiberglass I/O for lake usage. Looking for a 4cyl. for gas economy. The use will be for pleasure, tubing, skiing and general relaxation.

The boat we're looking at is in New Kennsington. I guess my real question is knowing that the weather has already been below freezing in the nights, how will the block withstand short term freezing temperatures. Of course no one knows what condition the boat is in, but as a rule of thumb, does the temperature need to remain below freezing for a few constant days before the block cracks/freeze plugs pop or can a cold evening do damage?

Thanks for the replies.

Wayne

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Normally a 5 - 10 deg. F. below freezing for a few hours will Not crack a Block. Probably would take a lot lower temp. and/or more time - depending on temp.
    Just curious, did you buy it?

Jango

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Well I live within 30 miles of you & it has been mighty cold a number of nights now.

I would consider anything and everything suspect, as the present owner seems to have a real bad maintanance philosphy.

Go Steelers!

TGoz

7. just_a_plain_av

No, got cold feet. The price went to $1500 and I didn't know what the cost of replacing the engine would be. After a few phone calls, I understand that an engine (3 liter Chevy) is $3,000. Not too many older boats worth $3000.

Wayne

8. just_a_plain_av

By the way....

go ...... steelers.......:(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.