Hydrostatics Calculator for Solidworks

Discussion in 'Software' started by laukejas, Oct 13, 2018.

1. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Hey, guys,

There was a poll in this forum section, asking what software you use to design boats/ships. I noticed some of you like to use Solidworks (I know I do too!). Back when I designed my first sailboat, I noticed that Solidworks lacks calculation tools for naval design, like the ones that Rhino or Delftship has, and exporting the models between these applications is a pain in the ***. So, I coded a macro (addon) for Solidworks to add this missing functionality, and make the entire design process seamless and parametric. Several years later, seeing there is a demand for such a thing, I developed that addon into a full hydrostatics calculation suite, which has lots more features and tools, including some quite advanced physics simulations that even dedicated naval engineering software (like Delftship) doesn't have. Took me more than half a year to make (my very first big application!), but works like a charm. I thought that some of you might be interested in it as well, which is why I'm posting about it here. I invite you to check out this short showcase video that I made about it:

You can also read more about it here: FloatSoft - Hydrostatics Calculator for SOLIDWORKS https://www.floatsoft.net/hydrostatics-calculator-for-solidworks

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them here, or contact me at justinas@floatsoft.net !

EDIT: following the success of this application, I have oriented the sales to large naval engineering industries, and raised the price accordingly, but since you guys helped me so much getting educated in boat design, as well as designing my first sailboat (which was a big success, still sailing today!), I will be offering this application for anyone from this forum at the initial release price (150€), so please don't mind the big number on the website.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. sensea

sensea New Member

Congratulations on the getting the SolidWorks add-on working!

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Congratulations, I'm sure it will be, and I hope so, a great tool for many designers.
    As a software designer for naval architects, with years of experience, I put myself at your disposal if you think I can be of help in any of the many facets of this exciting work.

4. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Hey, TANSL, thank you! There are, actually, two things that I would like to inquire.
    1. Since my program is aimed at a very market (naval designers who use Solidworks), I am still having trouble finding and reaching them. As a professional in this field, maybe you know some individuals/firms/companies that might be interested in my application?
    2. With this application complete, I am wondering what programming project to take on next. Something related to naval engineering, but not as niche as this Hydrostatics Calculator (something that would have a wider market), and at the same time, something that is in demand and not yet made by other software developers. Do you have any suggestions?

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The topic has so many facets that we could spend time and time talking about it. Let me, for start talking, in an orderly way, start some topics:
    • everything is already invented. Therefore, we must produce a product (software) with enough differentiating points so that the market takes it into account.
    • It is a very traditional sector in which nobody wants to risk. The experience, favorable comments, from the clients is the best propaganda.
    • Large companies need packages that solve the entire process, from conceptual design to detailed engineering. They do not want to be dealing with different packages, importing-exporting, information from one to another.
    • Small companies or modest designers can find our programs very useful but expensive if we also take into account that our software must add the price of the main application (Inventor, SolidWorks, AutoCAS, ...)
    • All the programs calculate with great precision and the reliability of the results depends more on the quality of the created model than on the accuracy in the calculations of the software used. Many users find it difficult to build a correct 3D model and, as a consequence, a program that facilitates the creation of the model can have the "differentiating element" that opens the doors of some sector of this market.
    • A good program, useful for the designer, should not only perform calculations well. That is the "simple" part of the package. A good program should :
      • carry out all the necessary calculations for any type of vessel or, at least, for vessels of very different ways of working.
      • help to verify compliance with the various regulations applicable to each project.
      • have a system of online aids, and after-sales service, very complete, which, if it is good, costs more to develop than the main program itself.
      • Automatically give the results in the form of tables, lists, drawings, ... It is necessary to prevent the designer from wasting time typing or doing secondary jobs. You have to give the designer time to think and "design", for creative works. Everything else, that the machine does. And the possibility of easily redoing the model when the results of the calculations indicate that it has to be changed.
    The next goal for you: the cross curves of stability, the definition and calibration of tanks, the loading conditions, ....

6. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Thank you for bringing up these points, TANSL! Gives me a lot to think about. Let me comment on each.

7. Mikko Brummer

Mikko Brummer Senior Member

Does it work on older versions of SW?

8. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Which version do you have in mind? I tested it with Solidworks 2017 and 2018, but it should work with older versions as well. There might be slight API differences, so if you have an older Solidworks version, and Hydrostatics Calculator won't work for you, it will be an easy and quick fix.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.