Boat testing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Çemberci, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Çemberci

Çemberci Senior Member

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

I find it somewhat depressing to see that there are pleasure powerboats that burn as much or more fuel in one hour than my powerboat has in 10 years.

3. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

May as well have a boat powered by electronic fund transfers to a fuel supplier.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A snippet in todays newspaper reports: A man in the Florida keys stole a boat from a local marina. The boat is reported to have been a 13 foot Boston Whaler. He took the stolen boat all the way to Havana , Cuba where he was intercepted by the Cuban harbor patrol who notified the US Coast Guard.

The subject, fuel economy, makes me wonder how the little boat had enough fuel to get 90 miles to Cuba. Never mind that the thief was a lunatic to risk the open water trip in such a tiny boat.

5. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

My 15' Whaler with it's 4-stroke Honda and 12-gallon tank would practically make it to Cuba from Key West and back again....assuming the seas were relatively calm. Whalers plane so easily and the modern 4-strokes are so fuel efficient....

6. bit

bit Student

Çemberci: thank you.

7. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Boston Whalers have a good reputation based on the fact that they can not sink under any normal circumstance. Beyond that its not a very good hull form for offshore water. A 23 foot Rage might well have sunk under me once but for all that foam below the sole. 90 miles is not a great distance for a small boats fuel capacity though.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The Boston Whaler morphed somewhat from its original cathedral hull to more of a vee hull quite some time ago.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.