Help! (Cross Curve calculations)

Discussion in 'Stability' started by manishindian979, Feb 25, 2012.

1. manishindian979

manishindian979 Junior Member

I am new in Naval Architecture. Can anyone guide me for Cross Curve calculations please??????:)

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Basic Ship Theory Volume 1, or Principals of Naval Architecture.

Either will suffice. Happy reading :cool:

3. manishindian979

manishindian979 Junior Member

Thank you very much Ad........:cool: But i want to know the full procedure for these calculations which is not there in both of them.......:confused:

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

M..979

If you read the text, it is there. If you don't understand from the text, the the task ahead of you, then it is beyond your ability and either seek professional help or just give the job to a professional.

5. chandru447

chandru447 Previous Member

for cross curves of stability, it is quite difficult to do by hand... u need some addnl graph to do tat...

6. johneck

johneck Senior Member

Thank goodness for computers! This is essentially an integration of the submerged volume of the vessel for range of displacement and heel angles. Since the ship is symmetric it only needs to heeled to one side, that saves half the required calculations.

7. chandru447

ya johnneck you are correct, but how will you get the point of rotation above 15deg angle of heel.

8. johneck

johneck Senior Member

You need to assume a VCG location and use that as the reference. In many cases it is convenient to use the BL.

9. chandru447

i have did considering the BL as a reference, but it wont give you the correct value...

I have did those calculation manually during college days and i have got very odd values above 20 deg

10. chandru447

hi i got manual xcel sheet where you can learn and find.. if u like it contact me at chandru447@gmail.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.