What is this boat please? (Skeeter?)

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by crowsridge, Jul 22, 2012.

1. crowsridge

crowsridge Senior Member

Hello all,

I found this boat and am intrigued by it. It's so ugly, but seems very functional. It looks huge, but is only 16' long. It's set up much like a pontoon boat. I suspect you could lay on one of the side benches and dangle your feet in the water.

I'm told it's very stable. It comes with tons of extras and is dirt cheap. With the railings all around, I like it for my kids and granddaughter. They want a boat to fish from.

The nameplate says its a Skeeter. But that's all I could read on it. Title says 1979. Google and google images doesn't come up with anything like it.

Any ideas?

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Post a few photos so we can see it.

3. crowsridge

crowsridge Senior Member

sorry, cant make the ipad work. try these.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The HIN will revel what it really is. It's located on the upper right corner of the transom.

5. crowsridge

crowsridge Senior Member

Went to pick it up and someone else was towing it away.:(

6. PAR

Consider yourself lucky. You may want to read up on the exploits of owners with boats of that vintage, to ease your discomfort.

7. crowsridge

crowsridge Senior Member

Par, blisters or worse? Like I said. Google didn't come up with anything on that boat.

8. PAR

Without the HIN (required since late 1973) you haven't a clue what it is. Skeeter could have been the name of his wife, proudly plastered on it's side.

Blisters, shot transom core, dead stringers, rotted sole, you name it, could be at play here, but you've gotten lucky, it would seem. In the current boating market, you can find excellent examples of 15 year old boats that just need some minor cosmetic and mechanical repair. This is a whole lot easier then stripping a boat down to it's hull shell and restoring structural elements.

9. beachcraft

beachcraft Junior Member

Don't know about those low no sides combined with those high railings. Fun to dangle feet over the shallows but it doesn't look comfortable if the waves pick up.

10. PAR

It's an early deck boat and I don't see any issue with it, though it will likely be a wet ride in a chop. He lucked out and she's gone, so . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.