Maxsurf Stability Transverse Buoyancy Force

Discussion in 'Stability' started by alexmclifford, May 12, 2013.

1. alexmclifford

alexmclifford New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on plug-in to allow a user to import the Hydro static data calculated by MAXSURF stability directly into ANSYS for FEA analysis.

At the moment it is just for basic box barges and I have it successfully bringing the across the loads (Both from loading conditions, and hydro static force at each station) that are output from a longitudinal strength analysis of the loaded vessel.

I want also include a torsional analysis in this plugin and for this I need resultant hydro static forces at increments both longitudinally and transversely (Essentially making it a 3D analysis as opposed to the 2D currently in use). I know MAXSURF must calculate these values as part of it's analysis as it includes the heel of the vessel.

My question is does anyone know how to extract this data from MAXSURF:
    eg. Display the buoyancy at multiple points per station (Eg, center line +/- 5m transversely) as opposed to the current results which is only about the center line.

Cheers, Alex

2. Crowsnest

Crowsnest Junior Member

Hi Alex:
    I'm working on something similar, but for FreeShip (Im for improving free software capabilities).
    I dont exactly get what you want to mean in the last paragraph. If its about what I guess...
    For torsional analysis, I chose the approach of the "worst case" taking the whole ship as a constant main section prism. May be not too smart, but I found it more usefull than trying to get the best accuracy, that, from any practical point of view, would also be an approximation only.

Regards

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.