FreeShip tutorials?

Discussion in 'Software' started by laukejas, Jul 28, 2012.

1. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Hello,

As I now almost finished my first sailboat (catamaran), I clearly understood that I want to make a monohull. Multihull was so expensive, difficult and time consuming, that I won't try that again in a lifetime.

I plan to make this new sailboat 2 years from now (for summer). Maximum length will be up to 5 meters (to be able to transport on car's roof, and also to make parts from two 2.5m length plywood sheets, since there aren't any longer).

So I decided that since my budget is extremely limited (350 dollars for everything, including rigging, sails, absolutely everything), and I wish to make this boat a bit race-worthy (not chasing for first places in regattas, but something reasonable), I want to squeeze as good prismatic coefficient as possible, since I can't make longer sailboat.

In other terms, I wish to spend some time learning about hull construction, so that I can make perfect shape with the money and length I have.

And I found this FreeShip software, which is extremely useful for this learning, to see what does what, experiment, plan, and so on. Very useful.
    But since I'm green at hull construction, I don't understand most of that program. I passed that main tutorial which describes how to work with points, edges and faces, and got hang of it, I can now make pretty much any shape I want, but I can't any more tutorials on how to use all the tools - hydrostatics and resistance calculator, how to interpret it, how to optimize hull shape for speed and stability, and so on. You know. The next step. I looked in manual, but it doesn't provide much guidance for newbie.

So are there any tutorials that continue from where I am now?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.