Righting Moment

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Stevens47, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Stevens47

Stevens47 Junior Member

In the process of ordering a new mast for my boat. I have supplied the mast builder with the sail plans that I obtained from Sparkman & Stephens. The builder has asked me for the RM. I am going to make a call to S&S to ask what the RM is for my particular design. I have only a rudimentary understanding of RM.

My question how is RM expressed. I have seen charts giving examples of Disp lb, Hull lb, Ballast lb, Mast & Rig lb, Roll Period sec.

As a example a Cruising Mono with Disp lb=24000, Hull lb=13900, Ballast lb=9600, Mast & Rig lb=500, Roll Period sec=5.7

Static Stability=

Righting Arm ft 1.6
    Max RM ft lb 38399
    Heel at Max Moment deg 64.5

Would the above example be considered a example of RM that the mast builder will be looking for. If not what is the format the RM is expressed in.

Jack

2. Olav

Olav naval architect

Jack,

yes, the 38400 ft-lb (RM = Displ. * GZ = 24000 lb * 1.6 ft = 38400 ft-lb) is what your mast builder wants to know.

3. Stevens47

Stevens47 Junior Member

Thank You

Many thanks Olav for the clarification.

Jack

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.