Hydrolic tranny problem

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by IMSETFREE, Oct 6, 2006.

1. IMSETFREE

IMSETFREE New Member

555 cumins turbo cant tell what kind of tranny. plate came off
    fluid dirty (black) I changed fluid with 40w and pressure is good
    but after about 10 or 15 minuted it reverts to neutral. I turn it off and then
    start it again and it goes good for a few minutes then the same thing.
    Now it wont even go into gear. Could this be a clutch pack or something
    This looks like a paragon tranny not v drive. motor shaft is upper middle of tranny and output is about 12 inches lower going out to the prop. What should I do next. this is on a 39 ft chriscraft not fast but efficiant. I think
    the 555turbo is appx 300 hp.

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Most likely, you are using the WRONG fluid. Note sure about the others, but, Borg Warner trans are supposed to use ATF fluid. I would think other makes would also use ATF. Also, trans cooler may be pluged, not providing adequate cooling. Trans oil should not be more than around 160 F.

3. IMSETFREE

IMSETFREE New Member

Thanks for the reply, I was told 40w in paragon trannys or cat trannys. I will check the cooler and lines along with trying to find some type of ref # for the tranny. I am in Hawaii, been here since dec 2005 and ready to fish and cruise.
    this boat is a 1959 chriscraft with a rebuilt 555 cummins turbo in 2002
    and was a charter boat for 17 yrs before. thanks for the help.

4. Vince Hosea

Vince Hosea Junior Member

Sounds like you are on the right track by trying to find out what kind of tranny you have. Aside from guessing what is happening, clairifying tranny model is the first thing that needs to be done to effectively troubleshoot this problem. Try online Chris Craft owner's groups and contact local boat yards/engine shops and see if that helps narrow your search. You definitely need the oil type info and the correct oil in the unit. Also, try to find out operating temp and pressure specifications.

If you can get the unit running, hook up a temp and pressure gauge to the tranny and chart what they are doing, especially prior to any failures. I'm just guessing, but most trannys operate in the 200 - 350 psi range for the engine you are describing, but this can really vary depending on size of prop, engine, application, etc. If you can get a manual, that would be great. But what is important is to rule out tranny pump operation and any oil temp overheating.

You describe the oil as "black." Do you mean just dark, greyish black from a normal oil change interval or do you mean sooty/stain-my-hands black? The oil turned sooty black because it overheated and burned, or from worn clutch material. Definitely clean the cooler if it has one. Make sure the tranny is not grossly leaking oil to the point where it becomes inoperable. Clean/replace the tranny oil filter/screen if it has one. Make sure the shift linkage detent on the tranny is FULLY, not partially, in the forward, neutral and reverse position when shifting from the helm. Seasonal changes in temperature can effect the cable tension, so check this several times a year. Also, make sure the shaft is not binding in the stuffing box (from engine misalignment, bent shaft), that it is not excessively vibrating and that the prop is not caught up in some rope, net or trash or has 20 pounds of barnicles on one blade. If you can separate the shaft coupling from the tranny coupling, check for thrust and lateral movement of the tranny output shaft. Well, good luck.

5. seven up

seven up Junior Member

tranny acting up

There are a few transmission re-builders around. Can you e-mail them a picture of the tranny ?

Enjoy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.