Hydrogene powered boat

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by YuriB, May 6, 2011.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The difference I see, is that in a hydrogen/oxygen fueled engine, water is the only byproduct. In a gas engine there are burnt exhaust gasses that have basically no oxygen left to create corrosion. Are there any test results available?

2. speedboats

speedboats Senior Member

A basic hydrocarbon chemical reaction in your motor, (can be applied to any hydrocarbon string)

2(C8H18) + 25(02) = 16(CO2) + 18(H2O)

So over half to the chemicals formed from the reaction are H2O...

C8H18 is Octane.

Imagine the guys that burn alcohol (methanol / ethanol) which dissolves H2O and therefore there is extra H2O on both sides of the equasion. As was previously mentioned, you'd have more of a problem with condensate formed when the motor isn't in use by the natural rise and fall of temperature during the day.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

BMW was working on hydrogen powered IC engines a few years ago.

If hydrogen is burned completely there won't be any oxygen remaining. Interestingly though there will be NOx from the nitrogen in the air.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

That oil comes from a billion dead dinasours or a pile of dead grass is ONE theory.

There is another, freeenergynews.com/Directory/Theory/SustainableOil/

ABOITIC oil has been the Russian theory for half a century , and they are willing to drill to 30,000 ft to prove it.

FF

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I've read a lot about that sustainable oil theory and sorry but IMHO its bunk. Essentially no ultra deep well has yet to come up with any substantial amounts of oil. Virtually all that has been found ( and thats not much ) was found in areas of natural fracturing where surface deposits of oil had access to depth.

On the other hand the "theory" that oil came from things like the "carboniferous" age are very well founded.

My cousin is a big time geologist with the USGS and we have some pretty dorky dinner table conversations some times. Also her husband in a geologist with an oil company. So we've been over this one before. No real solid evidence to date shows oil, coal, or any of the hard fossil fuels to be other than compressed vegetation/biomass.

Very interesting reading up on this thread tho

H2O cars have been around for a long time. Never really got off the ground but thats a whole other story. Hmmmm, let me go try and look up that guy way back in the 50's who drove around in a H2O powered car

Stan Meyer I think was his name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrxfMz2eDME&feature=player_embedded

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Gasoline engines run pretty lean (extra oxygen) especially these days. Diesel by nature has plenty of extra oxygen as air intake is not throttled in diesel engines. So there will be plenty of oxygen left after the burning process in diesel. I really think that the water and its affect in corrosion is not a much different issue in a hydrogen powered motor.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Can you name a single car run on water? That stupid conspiracy theory has been around for quite a while.

8. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Oh no no... gonzo don't mistake my point on condensation to me thinking burning hydrogen in internal combustion engine being smart or viable...

I have spent way too many hours arguing against the hydrogen ran car arguments. Those are based on people being clueless about basic physics concepts. Folks don't even realize that alternators resistance varies by load and electric use. Or the fact that IC engines on good conditions knock on 30% efficiency so if you had an efficient way of creating hydrogen burning it in IC would be a huge waste. etc. etc.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I didn't say they were practical Gonzo I just said they had them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFIlXaABU54

I'd be curious to see if anyone proved it a hoax, but this guys name gets kicked around a lot so whats the deal, did it or didn't it actually run on water and was he using some form of solid catalyst to initiate the reaction.

10. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Oh I missed Boston's reply. Stan Meyer was a conman. All fraud and lies. There have been dozens others - all praying on the ignorant. There was one pretty well publicized from Japan just few years back. They all seem to be concentrated around the idea of "investment opportunity".

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

my bad. I just thought it had been done but not economically IE it takes more energy to split the elements than you get out of recombining them.

but you could recombine them in a internal combustion engine.

oh well another one bites the dust.

12. beachcraft

beachcraft Junior Member

Had to dig it up on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer's_water_fuel_cell

13. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I spent some time on the HHO engine in a boat last year. I mean using Hydrogen Gas to power the engine. Feed it into the Carb area just like a Fuel injection system.

The question Gonzo has still bothers me with an HHO engine. I dont know how you'd dry it out other than running some Alcahol through the engine after use.

My idea involved a 5 Hp Briggs with an Automotive Generator making DC across a Container of water.
    HHO up one tube, and Oxygen up the other. Save the HHO and let the Oxygen go.

Someone with a good Slide rule told me the little engine couldn't make enough DC to make enough HHO to run on all by itself.
    Also you'd need to start the engine on Gasoline and after the HHO built up, switch over.

I didn't actually give up on the idea, but....I thought maybe I didn't know enough to start spending money on a project like that. But I still believe it will work.

And I never saw the Danger of HHO gas exploding without some Humanoid Goof up.

14. speedboats

speedboats Senior Member

HHO gas is simply steam. I'm sure you ment HH, H2 or hydrogen gas...

Laws of energy conservation will tell you that the engine will never sustain itself. Breaking the bonds between the H2 and O takes the same amount of energy you'd get out re-joining them. However the parisidic loss from ineffiencies in the machines used to break the bonds and harness the resultant energy from re-joining them means that you'd have an ever DEcreasing amount of energy.

This is without any consideration to drive output...

15. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Thanks speedboats. You are exactly right. I meant Hydrogen gas.
    The Gas itself is only about 1/3 as volatile as Gasoline.
    It was going to be a good idea that didn't work.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.