Hydrofoil Ship Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Panos_na, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Panos_na

Panos_na Junior Member

Hello everyone!

My name is Panagiotis Tsoukalas and I am a student of Naval Architecture in TEI of Athens,Greece.

I am doing my last year project and it has to do with hydrofoil ship design in general. In the last pages of the project, there will be a hydrofoil vessel design (motorboat, sailboat, etc) but I have not decided yet about the type of the vessel.

I will need your help in some subjects. Can anyone tell me which are the design steps for a hydrofoil vessel? I have some things in my mind, and I have found a paper with a design method, but I wish I could hear some other ideas.

I would be very pleased if you could help me.

Thank you,
    Panagiotis Tsoukalas

2. Panos_na

Panos_na Junior Member

3. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

caution

Hydrofoil craft induce a lot of difficulties into the design. You need to decide if foils are really necessary. There are other simpler ways to go fast on the water.

There is an ok write-up in SNAME's Principles of Naval Architecture covering some of the basic ideas.

4. alpamis34

alpamis34 Senior Member

Hi Panis,

First of all you have to set your goal about what you are going to design.After that what is included inthat design project? Just some basic drawings , hydrostatics and stability? or is it much more thanthat like including hydrodynamics etc.

I would advise you to have a look at the website www.foils.org
    which might turn a bulb on in your mind about the basic phenomenon of the hydrofoils.And if you wanna go further , you'd better buy Bishop's Mechanics of Marine VeHicles which comprises detailed engineering stuff related to complex marine structures.Good luck

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Nice site, do you happen to know much hovercraft info is really in CD 2 & 3 of the Advanced Marine Vehicle (AMV) collection?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.