Model boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Modelgamer, May 22, 2009.

1. Modelgamer

Modelgamer New Member

Hi there, I was hoping that some of you maybe able to help me as I am floundering at the planning stages.

I play a mix of war games (such as games workshop and privateer press games) and have always wanted to have scale ships as scenery. I cant find anyone who has built ships to the dimentions I am looking for and was hoping that as you deal with the real thing you maybe able to offer advise or even aid me.

The main problem is that scale model kits are too small and I have no idea where to start scratch building one, secondly anyone who I can find who builds replica ships makes them incredibly detailed and therefore very expensive. So I thought that someone here might be able to help as it should be fairly simple in comparison to what you do.

Outline/brief:
    I am looking to build two ships to fit on a 4 foot by 4 foot table side-by-side with gang panks etc between; I would like one to be a galleon style (I'm thinking along the lines of Pirates of the Carribean) and the other to be either an ironclad or merchant ship of that era; they only need to be from the water line up; they dont need to have alot of rigging etc as it will get in the way during game play so just enough to give it feeling; of the up to 4ft length as much as possible needs to be deck but I would like detail like a figure head on the bow; to give you an idea of scale a human sized model is roughly 1 inch (28mm) tall and stands on a round base (d=30mm).

I am open to all suggestions, if someone lives in Scotland and would be willing to build the basic ships I would be exstatic! But some of the pleasure would be building it myself.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. srt9969

srt9969 New Member

Hi,

I'm in Glasgow, and may be able to help.
    Drop me a line, if you like.

Sean

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.