Oil Tanker Design - Problems with the hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bruno.bdan, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Bruno.bdan

Bruno.bdan New Member

Hello everyone!! My name is Bruno and I'm a shipbuilding student.

For my course's final work, I need to design a Oil tanker. Everything until now is flowing very well, but at this point I'm having some problems with the hull.

I know there is 2 very good ways to predict a tanker resistence: The formdata and the Kiyoshi Tsuchida Methods. Both "versions" of the hull must be on the final version of my work.

The fact is that I have pretty much information about Formdata, but I don't know so much about Tsuchida.

Can some one tell me a little about it, or, where can I find some informations?

Thank you very much,
    Bruno de Assis

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The term "tanker resistance" is a bit vague, imo, should clarify a bit more but presumably you're talking about the longitudinal strength ???
    In any case, the boat shall comply with the regulations of any Classification Society. It would therefore be desirable to see what that CS's Regulations say about.

3. Bruno.bdan

Bruno.bdan New Member

Hello, TANSL.

When I said resistence, I was talking about the hydrodinamic, Lines plan, and not the Strengh.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Forgive the misunderstanding. What do you need, the frictional resistance, wave making resistance ...?
    For such ships the Holtrop-Mennen method works great.
    About FormData or Tsuchida, sorry, I have no information. So please excuse me if I have wasted your time.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Hi Bruno

Tough task you have!! But well done for trying. I don't design such large vessels, however attached are pages from the excellent paper "Some Ship Design Methods", by Watson & Gilfilian on their estimates for powering, if this helps?

You could, since the Fn number shall be low, simply calculate the WSA and thus the frictional resistance and then add say 20% to that value, for residuary, knowing the vessel has a low Fn. As a first pass estimate.

Attached Files:

6. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

7. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Yep. Google it.

Title: On the Design of Hull Form of a Super-Tanker
    Author: Shiro Kan; Kikuo Takahashi; Kiyoshi Tsuchida; Yoshiki Hirano (運輸技術研究所; 川崎重工株式会社)
    Source: Journal of Zosen Kiokai; ISSN:1884-2062; VOL.1956; NO.91; PAGE.65-73; (1956)
    Pub.Country: Japan
    Language:
    Abstract: An oil-tanker “Seiho Maru” was built at Kawasaki Dockyard in January of 1952. The authors considered that the lines of such a large and full ship as “seiho Maru” should be determined from the point of view of arrangement, construction and equipment as well as propulsive performances. Therefore, in this report, comparisons were made for two kinds of lines on basis of arrangement, construction and etc., one of which was the original form of “Seiho Maru” and the other modified form. Then, for three kinds of lines, adding a thirdform to the former two lines, comparisons were made on a base of propulsive performance.
    It will be shown from their results that a certain lines may be determined so as to have a superiority in every point of view.
    https://astp.jst.go.jp/modules/sear...the Design of Hull Form of a Super-Tanker_N/A

“On the Design of Hull For m of a Super-Tanker"
    By Shiro Kan, Kogakushi, Member Kikuo Takahashi, Kogakushi, Member Kiyoshi Tsuchida, Kogakushi, Member and Yoshiki Hirano, Kogakushi, Member
    https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jjasnaoe1952/1956/91/1956_91_65/_pdf

8. Bruno.bdan

Bruno.bdan New Member

Hello people!
    Thank you all of you for the answers !! :)

In fact, I found these Japanese papers (on the same source btw) before posting my Thread here, but I also found this:

http://mararchief.tudelft.nl/catalogue/entries/15440/

I do not know, but I THINK this is what I need - besides being translated into English, the title is very suggestive ... On the other hand, I can not find this paper ...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.