newbie here would like to build a 15 ft open boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bumblebeehead, Oct 17, 2010.

1. bumblebeehead

bumblebeehead Junior Member

i'm looking for advice on building a wood utility boat. i would like to build a 15 ft open boat . by open i mean a boat like a 15 ft aluminum rowboat with pointed nose and outboard motor transom capable of holding a mercury inline six vintage outboard.oars included.i will have a tiller on the big ole merc and look forward to the arm cramps.i would like the boat to be wide and stable at rest, and tall and dry at speed riding on a pad. im not going to have any hardware other than the clamp-on power and fuel tank. i don't really want any upholstery either. just pure wood seats and a wood slat floor with spaces between to allow full visual access to the wood frame.i would also like to just use wood. no fiberglass cloth or whatever.

sounds crazy but after 45 years of constant boating this is the kind of boat that would make me happy. it would be a combination of all the boats ive had and be the one i never had. having a 8 ft hydro as a kid and dads boat was a wood 21 carver with a 100 merc i had a woody start. the "little boat" that all the kids ran and also did a lot of fish duty was a wood clyde and there also was a flat bottom row boat, ive had many boats as an adult in the 13-26 range including a 255 formula a 210 scorpion and several smaller cats and i really think my wood dream has to be next.

16 ft max

i would like to go lapstrake like the old carver was. i figure plenty of bracing can be made of the seats

do plans like this exist? i am not afraid to shoot from the hip and build. have a full compliment of carpentry tools that i've been making money with for years and in ready for my little project.

2. bumblebeehead

napkin sketch

something like this

Attached Files:

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

A straight six Merc would put that dinghy into orbit. Maybe your life insurer should be notified ! Does "wood" include ply ? Seems the only practical option.

4. bumblebeehead

16ft with 100 hp is not a rocket .

i would like to use real planks and finish clear

5. Mr Efficiency

I think plans for planing clinker hulls would be a bit scarce, particularly for something with a bit of deadrise aft, all that power would be wasted on something flat bottomed, and become uncomfortable in chop.. I'd say you'd need at least 5 feet of chine beam aft, what with the 300lbs of engine plus the tiller-man back there, and not much else in the boat. Sounds like a tough contract.

6. Mr Efficiency

7. Bruce46

Bruce46 Junior Member

A boat of the style and construction you are proposing would self destruct the first time you woke up that big old Merc. If the self destruction wasn't immediate the marine patrol would insist you get it off the water as there isn't a row boat in the world capable of handling over a hundred horsepower!
    OK not that I’ve got that off my chest let me say I have some experience with those old six cyl Mercs. Back in the day we bolted these big Mercs on sixteen foot professionally built and designed boats and ran at speeds of 60 mph. Those boats had stern, side and bow decks to stiffen the hull and I can tell you from first hand experience that those hulls needed the stiffening the decks gave to the hull.
    If what you are after is a relatively safe fast thrill I would suggest looking at Glen L’s “Stiletto”, “Outrage” or “Tunnel King”, however, if you have a pair of brass ones you might want to look at http://www.svensons.com/boats/?p=MechanixIllustrated/AquaRod. Or its brother the Aqua Racer.
    The bottom line is what you are proposing is just plain NUTS!
    Let us know which path you chose and good luck.

8. bumblebeehead

ive had several over powered small boats. they are the most fun.

9. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

No one is going to offer encouragement to something as unsafe as you are proposing. Most of the people around here really know their **** and it would behoove you to put the attitude in your back pocket and perhaps listen to the advice they are giving. If not then perhaps this isn't the best place to commit suicide.

10. bumblebeehead

cowardly

i like over powered stuff, my little 13.5 foot cat with 135 hp was very fun and rated for 40 hp,

Attached Files:

11. bumblebeehead

16 ft with 135

very fun

Attached Files:

12. bumblebeehead

i also had a 16 ft baja with a 145

13. bumblebeehead

also ran a 40 hp rude on an 8 ft jon

14. bumblebeehead

more power

this had a 455 olds

Attached Files:

15. bumblebeehead

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.