24CC-How many hp Diesel?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by blowhole, Mar 12, 2006.

1. blowhole

blowhole Junior Member

Rebuilding a 24CC cobia,its hull is a deep v and weighs 3400 unrigged.I want boat to plane,20-25? how many hp diesel.Gas-underpowered would be about 115-125hp.would use a alpha,or bravo rear.Thanks in advance John

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

125hp on that boat will be a damn lazy dog. If you want decent planing and high-load performance, I'd think you'd want at least double that. Someone else will surely come back with the math to figure out exactly what you need; my gut instinct would be to find a nice 250-300hp lightweight motor; Yanmar and Volvo have a few. Beefier motors like a Deere or Lugger tend to be a lot heavier for the power you get, better suited to a displacement hull. An Alpha (or Cobra, or SX) will have a hard time coping with the torque needed to propel a boat that size; go for the bigger drive.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.