Hydrofoil assisted or full flying kayak

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Canoemaker, Dec 19, 2009.

1. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

What about a swat? Aren't those less draggy/displacement than kayaks that are semi lifted?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Interesting...

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Awful lot of wetted surface in that center tube.....

4. Submarine Tom

That's what I'm finding in my calculations right now Doug.

5. Submarine Tom

It's similar to my design concept.

What I'm thinking now is a variably inflatable pod.

Zero buoyancy at start up for stability, inflation at take off velocity, then slow deflation as speed increases and foil lift builds and the AoA flattens, drag reduces.

I'm starting to realize 125 watts sustained just isn't enough for a steady state, long term flyer.

Too bad, I really thought it possible.

Maybe for a 95 pound kid on a 25 pound vehicle.

Back to the drawing board.

Attached Files:

6. svarteld

svarteld Junior Member

Looking for ideas and feedback; anyone?

I'm starting the third prototype build of a kayak/surfski that's basically too narrow for me to balance; I'll try to add modular stability to make it handle from mirror water to the baltic sea and couple of days camping. Started out with pontoons/floats, now moving into foil assist; slowing down roll with underwater foil, adding lift on the side that lowers (other foil in air), and adding float/surface skimming from thick foil-shaped arms, that might submerge when leaning too far. Foil shape here perhaps penetrate waves over surface better also. Foils will not lift, just stabilise. Larger floats attachable when paddler in water if sea gets too rough.

Underwater foils from tail wing on foil kite board, up side down.
    Carbon fibre tube booms.
    3D printed boom foil shape (hollow, light, buoyant)
    3D printed underwater foil beam (solid, stiff, not light)

Surfski is under 10kg, carbon fibre/nomex/epoxi sandwich, 630cm long, widest 42cm above waterline, perhaps 38 at waterline
    Total addition 1,0-1,5kg
    Rider 64kg, well trained, inexperienced
    Sometimes 5-10kg packing
    Support width 1,5m
    Underwater foils 30cm3 x2
    Angles and positions to be trialed

So, like to make a quick safe modular touring kayak/surfski for everything from lakes to the baltic sea archipelago, manageable for an intermediate paddler. I'm an engineer, but do not know fluid dynamics; this is guessing and trial/error. Hence, you guys :) Thoughts?

Cheers /Peter

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2xgYv9fLKy8vNNg76

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.