Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Boat Design Net Moderator, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

A good suggestion was made in http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/myth-aspect-ratio-36836.html
    to create a new subforum
    Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics

This would be a forum for more technical and theoretical Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics discussions which currently are spread between the main boat design forum, sailboats, multihulls, and powerboats.

There is always a desire to not split things up too much, but this seems like a good idea and a logical division. Before creation I would like to solicit any additional feedback. If it seems like a good idea to most and there are no major reservations, this new Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics subforum will be created at the end of the week.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Aerohydrodynamics

Jeff, I think it is a great idea-thanks for considering it.

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I was one of persons who gave support to DCockey's idea about creating a new hydro/aerodynamics forum, so I believe this is a good move, Jeff.

I'll try to dig out (and I hope others will make their suggestions, too) some existing threads which could find home in this section.

Cheers!

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I'm still undecided as to the best name for the putative forum.

Fluid Mechanics?
    Fluid Dynamics?
    Aerodynamics/Hydrodynamics?

The first two are probably better than Aerodynamics/Hydrodynamics which is a bit restrictive. Hydrostatics, rheology, and lubrication theory fit within "Fluid Mechanics" better than the others.

Leo.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

If you want to be pedantic about semantics, fluid dynamics does not include hydrostatics. :p I expect those with a technical bent won't quibble about whether a hydrostatics topic falls within hydrodynamics, though I also am finding it hard to think of a hydrostatics topic which wouldn't fit well in the existing Stability or Software forums.

I suspect "hydrodynamics" and "aerodynamics" are better understood by the boating public in general than "fluid dynamics" or "fluid mechanics". The latter could lead to lead to questions about plumbing of hydraulic systems or even heads. :rolleyes:

A potential generic name would be "Theory and Analysis" which would expand it to similar types of questions on structural mechanics, etc. A name like that should be enough to discourage most casual participants. :D

6. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

(That's why I said it would be better under "Fluid Mechanics", but that suggests blokes in overalls.)

Now you have convinced me that "Aerodynamics and Hydrodynamics" is better.

7. Boat Design Net Moderator

This new forum has now been created http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/hydrodynamics-aerodynamics/

(existing topics have not been moved yet but will be soon; if you happen to find yourself reading an existing thread that belongs in this new forum, either post it here or click "flag for moderator" and just type something like "hydrodynamics" and it shall be done.)

Thanks.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

9. Boat Design Net Moderator

Moved to the new forum - thanks.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

11. Boat Design Net Moderator

Thanks Doug. The sail aerodynamics thread has now been moved into the new forum.
    The Foiler Design thread is such a long existing thread in the sailboats forum that it has not been moved it yet - it contains some theoretical and practical discussion that is right on the mark for the new forum but it is such a long thread that it also contains a lot of general and overall 'sailboat' discussion too.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==================
    Thanks for all the effort, Jeff. You're right about Foiler Design-tough call.

13. Boat Design Net Moderator

If others feel the Foiler Design thread would be better moved to the new forum, it can be moved with a permanent redirect too. Because of the more general/overall sailboat content in that thread and the fact that it goes back so many years and is so long, it will remain in the sailboats forum pending further consideration or an additional vote or two to move it.

Thanks again.

And thanks in advance to everyone who either posts here or clicks the "flag for moderator" on any older threads they encounter as they're reading that belong in the new forum as threads are being found and moved that best fit in the new forum.

< Sorry for connectivity issues March 29, 2011 | Richard II >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.