hydro-generator

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by HuwFernie, Jan 8, 2012.

1. popobowa

popobowa Junior Member

As the hydro gen. topic is stil discussed....elsewhere ..Ill comment .
    Any open(not encased) fluid screw (prop), air or water, if used as generator ,is subject 1st to the Betz limit, which claims a open turbine cannot extract more than 59% of the Actuator disc's energy.
    Then there's the efficiency of the turbine, prop, setup, bladeprofile etc. to be multiplied...and friction loss in bearings, gear-reduction, el.generator...
    As opposed to a propulsor, having to create thrust in boat axis, the generator must do so perpendicular as to create torque at the prop most efficiently...at 90deg to boat direction?!
    So I believe generation pitch must be far greater at same speed AND the camber profile adapted...i.e. ..a different prop.
    Thats why dragging a propulsor thru water cannot be closely as efficient as its propulsing efficiency.
    I saw results of towtests with q 100ft brig, establishing propchoice for hydrogeneration of their parallel motor/generator. Between 3 dif. props w various pitch and diameter they figured that regeneration came to 25 % to 35% of propellerthrust at that speed. i.e. app 10% to 15% of the actuator disc. The props used were fixe pitch.
    Wonder if I got this right?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.