hydro drive, cheaper set up??

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by hinemoa, Jun 9, 2010.

1. hinemoa

hinemoa hinemoa

as some already seen i am setting up drive units for my 16.5 metre alloy cat, been reading some threads on hydraulic drive....
    1) is the initial setup cost cheaper as i only need one large engine
    2) i could buy second hand pump and drives
    3) would save me buying two marine gearboxes
    4) fuel savings as only need one engine to run

my questions, how do i find out what kind of hydraulic motors i need and what size pump and size of main diesel drive engine

or am i still best to use 2 diesel engines with marine boxes??

any one fitted one to a weekend cruise boat as it wont do much work , maybe 5 hours running time every fortnite?

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Oversized engines , esp diesels suffer a shorter inefficient life.

Have you considered either a mid mounted engine in a pod , or simply installing one engine in the hull and powering the other hull with a hyd motor .

Hyd drive is at BEST 85% efficient , at worst UGH!!!

FF

3. hinemoa

hinemoa hinemoa

that could be a thought, how would i go about doing this, as obviously i need the g/box behind the engine so where would the pump go? and i would have aprox 9m of hydraulic hose, would that effect any operation?

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

i need the g/box behind the engine so where would the pump go?

Most engines have a published rating for how much HP can be taken off from the front by using a 2 or 3 belt pulley.

Nicest is to balance the load with a pump on one side and a big alternator on the other.

Hose run simply means one size bigger hoses.

The hoses will usually be warm to hot , a consideration on the install.

FF

5. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

where you live there a lot of mussell harvesters powered by Hydraulic, contact hydraulic specialities branches Ham, Ak I did two, the noise from pumps is something else again
    However I would not recommend because people are leary of that form propulsion and you will suffer when it comes to resale

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.