Force

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CoralBayBoats, Feb 12, 2009.

1. CoralBayBoats

CoralBayBoats New Member

Hello Everyone!

I am starting a project, a 30 Horsepower 13 foot mini cigarette. I will be needing much help, as well as many tips and tricks, as this is my first boat. Thanks in advance everyone for your revealing input!

2. CoralBayBoats

CoralBayBoats New Member

Do I need to glass both sides of 3/4 inch ply, or can i simply glass the scarfs? Will this be strong enough. Also will I need to pu in ribs, or can i bend the ply w/ out ribs? I am building up from a caribe bottom.

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You can't bend 3/4" plywood you need 2 layers or 3/8".

4. CoralBayBoats

CoralBayBoats New Member

how bout 1/2 inch

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

1/2" ply will be very hard to bend into the tight curves of a 13-footer. Rasor's suggestion of two layers 3/8", staggering the seams, is the way to go if you need a 3/4" thick hull.
    Still, that's awfully beefy for a 13 footer.

6. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

You will have to post some pictures so we can see what you're starting with.

Are you building up the sides of the pre-existing boat bottom or are you using the bottom of the caribe as a former to make a new bottom?

For speed you want lightness (i'm assuming you want to go very fast?..) so do not use 3/4 ply anywhere apart from knees and other small reinforcements.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.