hydraulic tilt assist 2001 johnson 50 hp

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by eatsleepfish, Jun 15, 2014.

1. eatsleepfish

eatsleepfish Gone Fishing

my hydraulic tilt assist on my 2001 Johnson tiller steer 50 hp 2-stroke is not working, there's a hex nut on top and one on the lower left side, is the one on top next to the ram a filler port, can fluid even be added to it, I have a parts Manual and a Clymer service Manual for this outboard just so I don't have to ask simple questions, but neither show this supposedly hydraulic tilt assist mine has on it, BJ50RLVSI ,, yup a round tripper, but my parts Manual and Clymer service manuals are both for my BJ50RLVSI MODEL except for the v which I'm told means special gear case,,, so can I add fluid and where,:?:

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

If the tilt assist doesn't work, try adjusting the bowden cable directly under the lever. Also carefully inspect the cable: it tends to get nicked between the bracket and the outboard leg.

3. eatsleepfish

the cable looks good, it will go down good but I have to lift it by holding the lower unit and even then it is about all I can do to lift it, i'll go today and try adjusting the cable, can fluid be added to this unit? it goes down good, and in the up position it will hold its self up as long as you wish, but it cant be lifted while in the boat and just barely when standing behind the boat while trailered ,,

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Can you take a photo of that when the engine is up?

5. eatsleepfish

6. eatsleepfish

IMG_0439.jpg

so something tells me I was fibbed to by the seller,
    is this one of them non-rebuildable gas assist's

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

My son's speedboat has an identical engine. I replaced the cable because the engine didn't go up or down at all. Now it does, but the word "assist" is quite misleading: only lowering the engine goes without hard labor, lifting it from inside the boat is pure agony.
    As far as I can remember it has always been that way.

8. eatsleepfish

hehe, ok misleading is an understatement,,, thank you once again for your time and knowledge ,, so now it is time for a CMC aftermarket power tilt/lift, bummer,,,but it is what it is,,,,

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

there is a OMC tilt trim for it which is how most come.

I did hear a quote from OMC ( almost) 30 years ago when the manual 50 came out..."
    if you can pull start it you can pick it up"

10. eatsleepfish

this motor came rope start, in the last 4 years I have broke my back, (horse),,, cracked my skull and broke some ribs (different horse),,, triple by-pass,, couple coma's,, partial renal failure 4 times, been resuscitated,, chronic diabetic over 400 units daily while on stick diabetic diet, among other health problems, needless to say the first thing I did with this motor was to install eclectic start, so I guess since I cant crank it that explains why I cant pick it up, but as long as you awake each day then that is a good day indeed,, take it from me, I know for a fact, each day you're still hear you've had a good day indeed,,, all of ya'll have been and still are very helpful and I thank each and every one of you,,, thank you,,,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.