hydraulic propulsion

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Tim O'Leary, May 6, 2010.

1. Tim O'Leary

Tim O'Leary New Member

I have an old 40hp and would like to convert to a hydraulic drive to push my 16' x 30' steel barge (loaded weight 50,000lbs). I tried to get info on a Charlyn 2000 (Mako posts) but suppliers need more info model etc? How can this be connected to the drive shaft? Hope to power with my 22hp hyd power pack that powers my porta mixer.

Any help is appreciated

2. Mako2

Mako2 Junior Member

Hi Tim,

I will get all the information I have on the units to you over the weekend. I did receive your messages but was unable to respond.

Mark
    (Mako2)

3. Mako2

Mako2 Junior Member

Tim,

We are using a pair of hydraulic power packs each is a 16HP Briggs & Stratton vtwin attached directly to a 10 GPM, 2000 PSI pump. We also have a pair of 22" x 22" 4 blade propellers. We built the two outboard legs out of 3" pipe for the down leg and 6" for the lower unit which houses the hydraulic motor.

We purchased a pair of Charlyn 2000 series hydraulic motors #104-1023 to be mounted in the outboard pods. We used this motor because it has tapered roller bearings to absorb the axial load. These are low speed high torque motors, the 6.2 ci motor is rated at approximately 703 RPM at 20 gpm 2000psi, at the 10 gpm 2000 psi our pumps supply the maximum rpm will be approximately 344. Each hydraulic motor will be direct coupled to the propeller, giving the same RPM at the prop as the motor.

The control valve is rotary actuated so there is infinite speed control in both forward and reverse.

Mark

4. Bubblehead

Bubblehead Junior Member

Have you looked at www.thrustmastertexas.com?
    They have some units that are in that range.
    Look for the HD35 fixed podded drive with 0-50hp rating

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.