Electric start for small outboard

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by jesdreamer, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jesdreamer

jesdreamer Junior Member

I am trying to find an appropriate forum for my idea/question -- tried the Briggs & Stratton thread under outboards w/o much response -- Perhaps someone here can help.
    I want a small electric start outboard but find nothing available in the 4-5-6HP range. I would like to remove the recoil drive and shroud from a Briggs 5HP air cooled outboard (everybodies favorite outboard) and add a belt drive to combo starter/generator from a gas engine golf cart. Would use a battery to start and recharge during use -- Any thoughts on the subject??:confused:

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

As far as I know, nobody makes electric starting engines below 10 HP, and even then it is optional. There was a local brand here, but now extinct (Tomos).

But there are very cheap small Chinese engines. I bought a diesel powered water pump several years ago for $400, brand new. Threw away the pump and mounted a generator instead. The electric starter has the size of a windshield wiper motor and can only turn the engine when the decompression lever is pulled.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've seen 8 HP outboards with an electric start option (Tohatsu 4 stroke), but most of these are actually detuned 10 HP engines. I'm pretty sure Honda still sells and electric start 8 HP too. Electric start adds quite a bit of weight to a small engine.

Asking a 5 HP Briggs to spin a generator and drive a prop, sounds like you'll eat a large percentage of it's output, just making electrons flow. A stator ring and Bendix style of starter would be a better option, though finding a flywheel might cause some headaches.

4. jesdreamer

jesdreamer Junior Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I also have found no outboards under the 9.9HP available with electric start (8HP Honda weighs as much as a 9.9). I am willing to sacrifice some HP into running a generator but generation isn't main objective -- I want the electric start and can recharge a battery at dock if necessary. Do like idea of the combo starter/generator used on golf carts however and want this if feasible -- anyone with any experience with these combo units??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.