Hybrid Construction

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ancient kayaker, Jan 10, 2011.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I'd have to agree with you on that, it's the only way to get everything you want short of spending a lot of $$$.

I got the fingerboards - which were made by a buddy who knows what he is doing - properly attached to the table and made a third fingerboard. Having very little confidence in my ability to make the neat, uniform cuts between the fingers without losing one or two of my own, I laminated one out of 1/8 thick strips, easily the best way for someone without access to a tablesaw IMHO. A shade too stiff though, and unfortunately I made it so it can be used in one direction.

Routing was a snap after that, 5 minutes and it was done.

I realized it would be good to have another fingerboard so the workpiece is fully controlled in both directions on the infeed and outfeed so I'll take time off from the boat tomorrow for that, using slightly thinner strips; these ones I will make reversible so I can use the table for thickness planing. That is complicated by the fact that I use the router table for thickness planing a well a rabetting so I need bidirectional fingerboards, and the stupid fence (see quote) is only 3.5" high.

. . . hope nobody is holding their breath for the finished boat!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. ancient kayaker

Progress Report

Router table is a huge success, pleasure to use. The sheer planks with the outwales are glued in place, the shape of the boat can now be seen but I will wait until I trim the ribs to length and install the inwales before posting an image.

That'll give me some time to figure out my new digital camera; it was my wife's, given to her 2 years ago and much nicer than my old clunker. It stayed in its box all that time so I reckon the technology has moved on and it's time to get her a new one . . as soon as she notices it's gone!

3. ancient kayaker

Having figured out the camera (she hasn't caught on yet . . . ) and installed the clamps and faux ribs (spare ribs?) here's a look at the current status. Breasthooks, thwart, seat and stems are still to come, and of course sanding, sanding, sanding . . .

Attached Files:

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

5. ancient kayaker

Tax returns, spring cleaning, prepping the yard for summer, cleaning the swimming pool ditto, volunteer work for the library and church, medical appointments for me and the missus, the dogs' spring visits to the vet, fitting summer tires to the van, catching up with over 20 hours of recordings of tennis captured during the March break when the missus was shopping in the States, also dropping her off and collecting her, far too much time spent on several boating forums, etc. etc.

. . . 2 weeks gone and nothing done to the boat!

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Such is life AC!

Lol

-Tom

7. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I feel your pain, Terry. She's looking nice though.

8. ancient kayaker

Stop wasting time offering me undeserved sympathy and get back to work on your boats you guys! (sound FX - whip crack)

- just kidding!

I got a break this W/E in a wry and rather expensive manner. The faithful but aging family van has to stay in the repair garage over the W/E for organ replacment and other things so I can't go anywhere. Also it's raining, so much to my utter regret that rules out yardwork. Oh bother!

This means practically the only thing I can do is work on the boat. My wife is a bit suspicious about the whole business and a bit cheesed off that she has to cook on a Saturday - we usually eat out - but what can she do?

I've fabricated a pair of laminated breasthooks; thin slivers of oak, sandwiched between pine (to match the 'wales) and a piece of mystery hardwood with a nice grain that's been falling down every time I walk past it for a couple of years. This is a new skill for me as I usualy go for structural adequacy rather than decoration on my boats.

The first one is fitted, during which I discovered why every boatbuilding book I've ever read says fit the breasthooks BEFORE the clamps (inwales). The first one will need a tiny bit of filler despite my most careful efforts. The second one will have the benefit of both care and experience, a formidable and unbeatable combination - I hope. Oh, oh! did I just challenge Murphy?

People always seem to look more closely at the bow so harnessing my vast knowledge of the human condition and some low animal cunning I left that one for last!

9. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Funny post. I enjoyed all of it. :p

10. ancient kayaker

well, the van's back and I have picked up the epoxy I need to finish the build so there goes my last excuse!

11. ancient kayaker

Well, I put the epoxy to good use so the breasthooks are in place and the laminated external stems are done; mostly its sanding left - not my favorite part (which is the reason I mostly build plywood boats) until I get to the varnishing (and who doesn't love that part?)

Attached Files: