Raw water intake strainer size

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by seven up, Nov 4, 2009.

1. seven up

seven up Junior Member

I am looking for recommendations on the seawater intake strainer inlet/outlet size that should be used for my application. 1969 Chevy 327 engine, 4 barrel carter carb rated at 230 horses. The cooling system is raw water. There is a scoop strainer on the bottom of the hull. There is no "south bay strainer" covering the scoop.

If there is a chart which gives the recommended size of intake strainer for any given application that would also help.

Your help is appreciated.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you looking for a strainer that is separate from the through hull fitting?

3. seven up

seven up Junior Member

Yes.

The engine-room-mounted raw water intake strainers. Is there a recommended intake/outlet size or a chart with recommendations. The units are sold in relation to inlet/outlet pipe size.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They should be the same ID as the water pump intake or next size up.

5. seven up

seven up Junior Member

I'll start measuring, and thanks much.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.