Hurricane Gustav

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guest-3-12-09-9-21, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Guest-3-12-09-9-21 Senior Member

Here are a couple links if anyone wants to watch the latest developments...it is always interesting to see where Mother Nature is headed with her rolling pin to knock the crap out of somebody.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

I'll be watching the latest development from the bridge - we are trying to get a rig set-out in the middle of the Gulf and have anchors slipping. For some reason everyone seems anxious.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Probably not the best time to run a few anchors on a rising storm Chuck, I'm praying for you mate! As you know I've done a few o' those myself -good luck mate, hope you get her bedded down in time before you have to run for it (and won't tell you not to leave it to late, your the man on the spot, just take care)

3. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Actually it's perfect weather right now - just hope that we will be off the water by Monday. I'm sure that someone will tell me where to go - they usually do!

4. safewalrus

As long as they don't leave it too late, then you'll be telling them where to go, as they ask for the last anchor to be run again, cause it won't grip and whats a force 7 and rising, to a big ship like yours Cap'n? (with a hurricane up its a***e it is!)

5. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  6. safewalrus

Just your luck eh chuck, well I guess you'd best keep the windows shut then, all that water will make a mess of your chartwork! won't do a lot for your coffee either!!;)

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Eastern Cuba got quite heavy rains while Gustav was passing. In the news here were some footage of flooding rivers and one guy (a finish musician living in Santiago de Cuba) commented, but I missed most of it. I'll hear more when my wife calls her mother..

8. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

It's looking bad for Fourchon, Louisiana - that's where about 90% of the oil field services are located.

9. safewalrus

Fingers crossed then guys, ain't much else we can do now! Of course the British goverment in it's wisdom would make a law against it! They did with the flooding a few years ago! it flooded again in a different place, happens most years, somewhere, and still they ain't ready - but hey that's the English - the great unreadies - and still we get away with it, God knows how, no body else does!!

10. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Well - we are all secured alongside a dock in Galveston. Nothing much to do now except kick back and enjoy the time off and watch the news with our fingers crossed. Looks like we will have some jobs coming up on the anchor handling end of things.
    Screw the news - too depressing.
    Politics - too stupid.
    Maybe I'll watch something mindless with some 'good social attributes'...as long as they're female.

11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

can you post a pic of your ship, in say, faces to names
    used to work for Theriot
    Stu

12. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

It looks like the hurricane eye passed just to the West of Fourchon - this means Fourchon Louisiana had the entire brunt of the storm - dangerous semi-circle and all that. It will be very interesting to see what happens to the oil industry. I can't wait to see the picture of what's left....it sure looked ugly on the weather radar.

I'll post a picture when I get back to the house - the upload is terrible on this since it is Satellite internet. You could go to seacormarine.com and look under AHTS fleet - they have the specs and pictures.

13. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

There's more on the menu...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

[​IMG]

The one off Africa looks a little ominous at this early stage!

14. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Um I see very serious ships and company is large
    i would love to get my sons into training somewhere in the world, there is absolutely no opportunity here
    Beans, , although we are 27 south we rarely get cyclones here, if we do, it is just the remnants, here, they issue a strong wind warning for 16>, just when the breeze is enough to sail, I may be a few knots adrift there, but it is very close they do this so people won't venture out is tinnies, and sue the met, when they get arsed out
    i remember the North Sea, 80 knots was common, , in those days on the Ekofisk field --72,we had to up all the anchors above force 8 and tow those drill ships, for days

15. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Geology... they will be able write their own tickets if they can cut it, anything they need on the mines ---> the opportunity has just moved, that is all.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.