Hunter Sonata and Intro 22

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by RichR, Jul 18, 2007.

1. RichR

RichR Junior Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about the David Thomas designed Hunter Sonata and Intro 22. They appear to be almost identical (appart from the chines on the intro) and they have an identical irc rating. I have been scouring the internet, but came up with nothing on the intro 22 or any decent info on David Thomas designs, which seem odd considering there are so many of his boats out there.
    Any info would be excelent

RichR

2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

There is lots of information about the Sonata on www.sonata.org.uk

They are still one of the most numerous (450+) and active one design fleets in the UK (and HK) despite not having any new boats built for 20 years.

I know less about in the Intro 22. The Sonata was developed for Hunter Yachts from a multi chine one-design mini tonner. At first I thought the Into might have been a direct production version of this, but the pictures I have seen would suggest the transom might be significantly different.

But both designs do appear to share the same centreline upturned run to the buttocks under the cockpit as it was thought in the 70's that amateurs would not be able to handle a planing boat.

I should think that a good Sonata will be significantly more expensive as the class competition has tended to keep them updated. They will also be easier to sell with an active class association and one design fleets / racing behind them. But if you are looking just for a IRC boat, then the Intro may offer better value.

3. RichR

RichR Junior Member

Cheeres for the reply Crag
    I was thinking that an intro 22 would be the cheeper option, i know of a couple for sale and irc optimising them would be preferable over buying a 1design. You wouldnt happern to know if there is a design archive for david thomas that is accessible?
    Cheers
    Rich

4. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Suprisingly, as the designer of some of Britain's most popular and famous classes, there is very little published about David Thomas or his work. I don't think I have ever seen a retrospective book or anything of his designs.

I'm sure he is still with us, although must be getting quite elderly now. I know he was always a memeber of Hamble River, and if you have any specific questions, a letter might get to him via the Hon Sec there.

c/o Hamble River Sailing Club
    The Ferryhard
    Hamble
    Southampton
    Hampshire
    SO31 4JB

5. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

I have a few poorly worded blurbs about him here:
    http://www.sailboatdata.com/view_designer.asp?DESIGNER_ID=76
    I can't remember where it came from. Something about Sonata here: http://www.sailboatdata.com/VIEWRECORD_ACCESS.ASP?CLASS_ID=3141
    Don't know anything about the INTRO other than it was earlier design, 1/8th ton I think, hard chine, by Seaglass. (all of which you probably know).

6. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

I think the Intro rated 1' higher than a Mini, but that's not too important now!

Like Cag, I'm sure the Intro has a much wider stern, but I don't think that any of the old Seahorse mags etc I have show any reference to another Thomas mini ton; there were the quarter tonners (Needlework, Quarto etc) tho'.

I wish we had Sonatas and Impalas down here.....my own boat is sort of vaguely similar to an Impala but we don't have any others to play with.

7. prefix

prefix New Member

Intro 22

I have an Intro 22 , I have had it for 25 years, it is a fantastic boat.

It is more sturdy than a Sonata slightly slower in light weather.

There were some wooden ones but mine is GRP, I have thrashed it for 25years and it still looks great.

I have covered 22K miles and have loved the boat, I have been out in some exterme weather and as long as you reef you will be fine.

The fastest I have even had the boat was 17.4 knot falling of a big wave,
    I was 20 when I bought the boat and the boat is holding up better than me,I have managed to break two rudders, one by sailing backwards and the other when we hit something rather large, a submarine.

Cant wait to get in the water this year.

Cheers

Duncan

8. Aduffy

Aduffy New Member

Intro 22

I have just purchased a somewhat sad & sorry Intro22! (call it midlife insanity). I would be grateful for any pictures, plans or diagrams, Particularly sail plan & rudder design, also any tips & advice (such as don't go on ebay after an evening spent drinking red wine!)

Cheers
    Austin

9. prefix

prefix New Member

Intro 22

Hi Austin

Good to here you have got an intro, I have the design plans and sail plan for the intro, I will try to find them. I think they are in the cellar somewhere.

I have broken a few rudders during my travels, my rudder is in the cellar and I could take some pics if it.

There are some pictures of my boat on our club's website. http://www.cbsc.org.uk/

I have attached a recent pic of Prefix while we were visiting a dock in Greenock.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Cheers

Duncan A

Attached Files:

10. Aduffy

Aduffy New Member

Intro 22

Hi Duncan,
    Thanks for your swift reply, the boat is about 60 miles away near Hull, I hope to get it nearer to home in the next few weeks so I get started on her; hopefully by then my partner will be talking to me (she gets moody every now and then, don't know why).
    There was an Intro in the fleet in the early 80's when I had a Sonata, we were always neck & neck, but then he had more money than me.
    I would be really grateful for copies of the plans and a picture of the keel would be great since it doesn't have one! In fact it doesn't have much apart from a very sound shell. I am getting quite excited about getting this boat back on the water, I hope you don't mind if I keep bothering you for info as I think I will need a lot of help with this project.
    Your boat looks great in the pictures, something to aim for!

Cheers
    Austin

11. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Intro 22 plans

Should you find the time to scan some of these drawings, I would also be most interested in sharing a copy.
    I also have to confess an interest in your encounter with a submarine. I have only heard of one incident where a sailing yacht came in contact with a submarine. (many years ago in the US). The sailors barely escaped with their lives. The boat did not fare so well. No authority involved with the submarine ever acknowledged that the incident ever occurred. Of course, they may not have even been aware that it did.
    rb

12. peterL

peterL Junior Member

Intro 22 Australia

I Have just purchased an Intro22. Built in 1978 at Lake Macquarie NSW Australia. . We are cleaning her up and hope to race her at Wangi Wangi. I would also be interested in boat and sail drawings. There are some pictures in my image gallery on this site. Just click on Peter L and then click images from dropdown list.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  13. Andy Woollard

Andy Woollard New Member

Hi Duncan
    I have owned my intro for 4yrs passed owner had shorten the mast so now it is masthead rigged, with the mast stepped back slightly, could you please help me with some details of mast position and mast height as would like to put it back to original spec. I agree with you they are a fantastic little boat and if sailed right can keep up with best. Andy.

14. prefix

prefix New Member

Intro plans

Hi All fellow Intro owners I have finaly found the plans, they have been a little water damaged but will still be of some intrest

I have plans for the rigging and sails and some plans of the lay out.

I have no plans of the rudder and no detailed plans of the hull or keel

I also have found the original Sales leaflet.

I will get these scanned at work tomorrow, I shall be able to send them as PDF files.

Cheers

Duncan A

15. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Intro docs, leaflet etc.

That sounds terrific Duncan. Look forward to seeing them. I don't know what limitations they have here on file attachments. If necessary you can send to my email address randyfromsono 'at' gmail.com. I could make them available to who ever else wants them via email if that helps at all.

Thanks.

Randy Browning