RC Sailboat genoa

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by eschwarm, Jul 1, 2007.

1. eschwarm

eschwarm New Member

I'm researching rc sailboats and planning on building a 1/20th scale IACC boat. I have the design of the hull all set thanks to a post by DaveB containing an autocad model. I have photos to make a scale versions of the rigs(yes i understand it has to be less than 1/20th scale). My question for everyone is, how are genoas(non autotacking jibs) set up. is there a mechanism to switch sheets of is it just a servo. I'm new to this and have never built a model rc sailboat, but i have been sailing all my life and researching how to build rc sailboats for a while. yes, i'm sure this is where i would like to start. So, how are those genoa's set up?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

genoa

You might take a look at "innovations" on www.microsail.com for the illustration of an asy spin set up. A geny doesn't have to be as complex but you do have to devise a way of inducing slack in the soon to be windward sheet as you tack.
    It may be worth it for scale upwind but it is probably too complicated and heavy to justify its use particularly since it doesn't work too well downwind. When you learn more about rc sailing you might want to consider an asy or symetrical spin but that is far too complex for a novice in radio control-and the boat has to be designed FROM SCRATCH for the spin or it won't work well. Also check the Windpower and rcsailing.net discusson forums. And www.modelyacht.org
    Good luck!
    ==========
    Direct link to the asy spin page:
    Address:http://www.microsail.com/spina.html

3. eschwarm

eschwarm New Member

I have seen your site, and have visited it many times over the past years. i have been to the AMYA website, but I think it will be too hard for me to match the specifications of a class, and I would like something over 1 meter but under 5 feet. I would buy an America one or spinnaker 50, but i don't have nearly enough money. I am considering a asymmetrical spinnaker, but i have left it out to keep the cost down. I will reconsider putting one on.
    At the moment, I am building a robotic sailboat using the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT system (only the controls are LEGO). I have the everything ready, all I have to do is assemble it. It is a land boat, but will be very much like a monohull sailboat, with asymmetrical spinnaker and genoa. once I finish this in a few days, I think I can build a spin system. This LEGO sailboat is from scratch as well. When it's done, I'll put together a webpage. my biggest problem with a spinnaker is shaping it correctly.
    As for slack on the windward sheet, when measuring the sheets, measure it as if it were the windward sheet with slack.

Thanks for the help

this is my goal, but it is a bit beyond me http://cmnc.hippocampe.free.fr/page.php?lang=FR&id_page=ph_america

any suggestions on a radio, cheapest is best for me

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Radio; Futaba Skysport, 4 channel, FM, 75Mhz band, Cost about $129 from Tower Hobbies and others. The radios are sold with 4 servos, included in the price, whether you want them or not. None of them are strong enough for a sheet winch. For a sheet winch consider an RMG. It is the ultimate piece of work. About $200 and worth the price. It is reliable, programmable, and has speed and power enough for up to 1000 sq. in. or so.

For a beginning, your best bet is to use a jib set on a club, not a jenny. The Skysport has enough channels so that you can have a "twitcher" to honk the jib around to wing and wing, when setting up the down wind leg. If it's scale appearance you are concerned with, then pretend the wind has piped up, the boat has doused the jenny and is using a storm jib.

RC boats do not need to be overpowered. If so they are a bear to handle. An appropriately sized main and club jib will give you hull speed in the model so what's the use of having more power than you or the boat can use? Many of the highly developed class boats have two or three rigs. Each successive rig, A, B, C, is smaller than the moderate air "A" rig. The guys and girls who build and use these class boats are intelligent and experienced RC sailors. Do as they do and don't over do it.

Doug is into avante garde models with lifting foils and all that good stuff. In that case he can use, to advantage, some sophisticated sails such as asys, jennys, flat tops etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.