racing bowsprit

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jakers, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jakers

jakers New Member

Hi Can anyone advise. i have a 34' racer, strip cedar hull foam fibreglass hull. one off built by Stewart Ward (Australia2) for himself. Am thinking of using an asymetric but at this stage would prefer to consider a detachable sprit (? selden etc). The forstay is behind the prow by 10 -12" and I have a bow roller mounted. How strong are the newer retro fitted bowsprits on the market? anyone been down this track recently? regards

2. Mezaire

Mezaire Junior Member

Hey Jakers,

I have sold a couple of the Selden bow sprits with very happy comments from both customers. Both of these were cruising sailors who raced occasoinally.

That said, there are alot of boats that race at Fremantle Sailing Clubs Terry Fisher 2 handed series that fly assy's straight off the bow. If you are in WA (guessing by the ownership of a S.Ward boat) take a walk down to Freo Sailing Club and look at the C&C115's set up. The boats are on the right hand side of C and D jetties, quite close to the main jetty. They fly assy's straight off the bow with the assy in a sock. They race with these two handed.

As a foot note, I have a boat designed by Steve Ward who built Australia II and was also built in the Boatshed in Cottesloe 2 years before Aus II was built!! If you would like anymore info on your boat Steve is very helpful!!

Mez

3. jakers

jakers New Member

Bowsprit

Thanks Mez, I sail up at Hillarys, and will head to freo and check them out. I did get Steve's advice on some work I did with a through huull fitting. He was great. Though he said his dad built this yacht up at Milners yard in Osbourne Park whilst he was in the US. Any way I hope to see you out on the water regards. j

4. Mezaire

Mezaire Junior Member

No prob.

If you're keen on a Selden one, come and see me at Boating Hardware in O'Connor, 9337 9900, ask for Ben!! Will look after you ;)

Just sized one up for an S97 I race on so I can pretty much use the same size for your boat.

Mez

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.