Human Powered Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SolomonGrundy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

I have the Rhino trial and it would not open your file when I clicked on it. I had to save your file to my desk top, open Rhino and then open the file.

It looks like a pretty conventional, very fair rowing boat. What's not to like?

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

The second one.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Looks like a nice, clean, fair shape..... fairly conventional rowboat lines, I think it's well suited to the purpose. Huge prop for the length- should be good for efficiency but you'll have a fun time compensating for the torque. Have you settled on a material and construction method?

Rhino can only open locally saved files, it will not allow you to use a temp folder or network drive as a working drive. Hence why you need to save the file to disk first.

4. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Rhino Ver. 3.0...

:) :) :) Hello...

And a new machine that will run it - old one went into the shower after catching on fire - might have something to do with a bottle of lighter fluid and a match - I deal with limiting technology in odd ways - just kidding - looks like cheap *** Asian capacitors - but I can't tell - IT'S ALL BURNT UP and stuff...

Hull looks good if a bit symmetrical longitudinally - might pitchpole rhythmically - man I can't speel - more asymmetrical volume distribution would solve that - that would be all I can think of - looking at it - Also this being the first time I have seen it - I wonder if you intend to enclose it - something like that with a lifeboat style deck and a canopy would roll itself upright quite well - oh wait I found the layers...:)

OK - just turned all on - coolies - I would be inclined to protect that prop with a welded mesh and a Kort like thingee - like the log boom push tugs do - I will take some photos tommorow at work...

I would also be more inclined to an aft hung rudder with a fixed skeg in front of it for same - for easy'or replacement if bashed and less holes in the hull - even if it is welded aluminum

Figured out the mechanicals yet - considered a hybrid - you not being connected to the prop shaft but to the generator creating power stored in your batteries - pedal all day and auto. all night...

I do think you are asking for collision problems with that exposed shaft and rudder - YUP...

Looks damn good really - and ah - am I supposed to be seeing stations, waterlines and buttocks - or do I have plug ins that I do not know about...

This has a bloody good chance - you are still crazy though - and it needs flames - because flames will give you HOPE - HEHE...:)

Like that flag at the end of a 700 yard drive...:)

OK - I am now going to Google Jennifer Tilly and well - google...

Cheers...

SH.

Attached Files:

5. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

Hpv

Well, thanks to Sean I have a new desktop background. That paintjob is Phat. That would be so sick!
    I have voulenteers popping out of the woodwork offering their tangible help lately. Steve from TBM will be molding the carbon fiber props, I'll need a few. The design of which will be settled in a few months. But it's on the back burner while I try to earn a living at the same time...

I'm working on the driveline mock-up design lately, in a nutshell it will be the 5/8" ss shaft connected via bevel gears, sprockets and chain, all stainless, on a welded frame of 1 1/4" & 1" 316L .065 wall tube. I'll Tig it up as I can squeeze it in...

Thanks all for the feedback and keep it coming.

6. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Are you going to have multiple gear ratios?

Anyway, I'm happy to see that this is all comming together. I thought I had seen your hull design before. Indeed I had. It looks like a hard chine pea pod. I once built a half modle kit of one.

Pretty cool and it should have ample carrying capacity.

Bob

7. SolomonGrundy

gear ratio

Bob,
    I am shooting for a 3 speed... The main cranks will be connected to an intermediate shaft at 90 degrees to the prop shaft. With 3 different sprockets on the intermediate shaft. to change gears, I will disengage the chain tensioner, slide the intermediate shaft so that the desired sprocket is inline with the main crank then retension the chain.
    This will give me a "high, med., low" that I hope will optimize my pedaling power over a range of loading conditions.
    I think the first model looks like the pea-pod a bit, but the new one looks more like the "car topper" to me.

8. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Persistance is the name of the game. Stay with it Solomon.

9. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

10. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Interesting site.

11. yipster

yipster designer

again technical university delft, single person/prop sub contest, first try, first price!
    gee, maybe i move to delft and go to school again :D

12. yipster

yipster designer

Solomon, yeah rhino again and cadLT and 14 wont open the file here plus i got to clean the house etc :mad:
    a / the pic like Sean did perhaps?

13. Sean Herron

For those who cannot...

Hello...

See below...

SH.

Attached Files:

14. Sean Herron

Hardtop...

Hello...

Just foolin' around in photoshop - rather than getting on with my own little thing ...

Cheers...

SH.

Attached Files:

15. SolomonGrundy

Sean,
    That paint scheme is so damn sick...Steve says he's up for it. I think I'll put it up to a vote when the time comes. That might help generate some "buzz" when I need it most...
    Encasing the prop. was considered and I have decided against a full 360 prop. protection. What is not on the model is a skeg protecting the shaft and rudder. The shaft will butt into the vertical part of the skeg. I'm trying to stay away from unnecessary wetted surface (friction), so something like in the bottom photo is out of the question. I have quite a bit of experience in squid light boats with just a skeg bar protruding just aft and below the prop. I've gone over thousands of corklines and I've unfowled a few props (never my own). Yes, this will be an ungainly prop., a necessary evil, I believe but my speed will be so slow and my shaft rpm so low, I should be able stop the shaft from turning in time to save my precious prop. A boat hook goes along way down so I think I'll be okay in that regard.
    One thing is sure though, if I have to add protection, I ought to be able to weld something on in Pearl City, after that I probably won't see a welder until I get to Manila.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.