unsupported span

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Hisham, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Hisham

Hisham Marine engineer

Hi all

I have a simle question

in longitudinal systems what is meant by unsupported span for the deck center girder CG ?
    is it the spacing between (transverse Web Frames) or the distance between the two BKHD (Bulkheads) that are carrying the CG ?

i am using GL

is it the same in BV?

hope to find the answer here?

thanks all
    Edit/Delete Message

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Between bulkheads. The web frames are supported by, but do not support, the girder. They (the web frames) also have unsupported spans of their own.
    Those letter designations are not common building terms.
    Are you reading a plan? CG, for example, is empirically understood to mean Center of Gravity. Your're using terms that have different or no meaning outside of your particular circumstances/plans.

Alan

3. Hisham

Hisham Marine engineer

you mean that the, unsupported span for deck girders is from bulkhead to another? right

thanks for help

:)

4. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi Alan,

I assume this only counts for the deck center girder and not for the other longitudinals (stringers) as those are supported by the transverse webframes.
    Or am I mistaken here?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.