Hull Warping in 70's fiberglass Tailer Sailer, fixable?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by CloudDiver, Aug 25, 2014.

1. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

Below is a pic of Venture 2-22 (same as Macgregor 22) that is for sale in my area. This boat is my 2nd choice for a cheap Trailer Sailer, still waiting on word from another seller of a CAL 21.

I went and checked out this boat the other day. Owner wants too much money for as many problems that it has, but nothing (except the warping problem) that can't be solved with a little elbow grease and minmal investment in Glass/Resin.

My biggest issue is the warping in the hull which you can see from a distance that the hull is not fair. It is most noticable in this pic where you see the shadow on the port side aft under the sheer. I looked over the inside of the hull carefully and saw no evidence of collision or fiberglass repair. Most of the paint is peeling and it would be easy to spot a sloppy repair job, as most other stuff that was done to the boat was very poor workmanship.

So my question is, keeping in mind I would only be willing to make a minimal investment in resin and fiberglass, is this a correctable problem and is it even worth it?

A little more info on what I observed about the boat to take into into consideration;
    - The swing keel is split near the top and the bottom, about 6 inches in each place. Obviously the cast iron is rusting and expanding and needing repair, but not as bad others I have seen where the keel is swelled and stuck in the trunk.
    - Rigging is good shape with very little rust, but deck hardware needs to be removed and re-bedded properly. The chain plates could use back-plate renforcing and its obvious from a crappy silicone job the starboard chainplate is leaking.
    - There are several improper fastners used (regular zinc plated screws), but not too many and not on the rigging.
    - There is minimal spider cracking and only a few small wear and tear fiberglass repairs.
    - The original forward hatch is gone and replaced by a 'back-yard hack' homemade hatch that does not even work and leaks like mad. They cut off the original fibeglass lip to install it, thus no real weather seal.
    - The interior is pretty much non-existant as far as cushions and the marine potty is gone. The original semi-bulkhead and table is there with a super thick layer of poorly applied varnish. The port side sette frame is damaged/boken. The keel trunk looks OK with no signs of grounding damage to the pivot pin or locking pin, but both appear rusted enough to warrant replacement. No major staining, mold, or other growth in the bilge... boat always dry sailed and has probably lived 29.9 years of the last 30 on the trailer.
    - Rudder and sails in useable condition
    - Trailer hubs have been maintained and tires ok, but general rusty frame. Would be more positive about it had it been a galvinized trailer.

Anyway, owner claims he sails it 'as is'. I wouldn't, unless I was playing a character in the filiming or "Waterworld 2" or a new Mad Max movie. He wan't around $1200 for it. After I looked at it he asked what I was thinking and I said $500 and I'd be saving him the $1000 the local land fill would charge to dump the hull by wieght.

So this is my 2nd choice boat if I don't hear back from the CAL 21 seller, but only if I can do something about the hull warping. Any ideas? Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A warp on the hull won't prevent you from sailing. It is mostly a cosmetic issue that you can simply overlook. Does it have the winch for the lift keel, the centerboard bottom plug and the top cover for the centerboard slot?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Repairing a swollen iron keel can be costly and difficult. Usually these boats are just stripped of anything salvageable and the rest ground up and used as fuel, at the land fill incinerator. $500 would be the most I'd pay and I see these sort of deals all the time. The trailer could be resold with a fresh paint job and new lights, etc. These boats where poorly built and equipped when new. If the rig is original, which is common, then none of it can be trusted, even if rust free. The current level of workmanship should give you an idea of the care she's received, so you'd be best advised to find a better example of a similar boat with a better pedigree, equipment and care.

4. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

Good points PAR and Gonzo. I don't think this boat is worth the trouble even at $500. I just looked at a Catalina 22, overall in much better shape only the sails are original and totally shot. Looking at another Catalina 22 in Dana Point Wednesday, and possibly another Catalina 22 here is San Diego as soon as the seller responds.

5. PAR

Now you're catching on. Some leg work will yield good examples of good boats. yeah, you might need sails, but good used sails for a Catalina 22 are fairly cheap.

6. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

Looked at a Catalina 22 yesterday evening. Hull and interior are in good to very good condition considering its age, a 1979. Paint is heavily oxidized and some spidercracking on topside, but that is all cosmetic. No hull warping like the Venture 22! Rigging is mostly in excellent condition except for some shrouds that are platic/vinyl coated; yes shoruds, not life-lines. So they are very old, cracked, and showing plenty of running rust. Big issues are that the sails are totally shot; Only 2 sails and must be orginal, just the Main & Jib, a hole in each and a nice big chunk torn out of the Leech on the main. Other problem is the trailer, not the original I believe, it is a 'Sears Craftsman' according to the owner. Bunks are a little off so the keel does not sit center, with no bunk guides to keep the keel center as it floats on. This normally wouldn't be an issue, corrected by a simple bunk adjustment, but the all the posts are welded! The other problem is that the trailer is too wide to fit into my boat house door, but that is not the fault of the boat owner. I'd have to take out 6 inches from the center of the axle to get 3 inches clearance on each side. Anyway, his aking price would be in the ball park if it had a useable set of sails and a more reliable trailer, but as it sits he wants too much.
    I'm going to Dana Point tommorow to look at another 22 that is in the water. My biggest fear is a split keel because I have no idea how long it has been in the water and neglected (plus scraping bottom growth!). I'm bringing my flippers and goggles to take a peek. This boat has no trailer but the slip fee is paid to the end of September. I already have a potential dual axle galvanized trailer to buy on the cheap and the bunks are fully adjustable, plus the width will slip right into my boat house door with 6 inches clearance on both sides! I think I can get this 22 plus the galvanized trailer for less than 2/3 of what the other guy is asking, but may possibly have to rehab the keel. This 22 in Dana Point is also 6 years newer (1985).
    I'm getting pretty good at this boat inspection thing, no?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  7. PAR

With the deals that are out there in this market, you should be able to find a fairly nice one. You can get good used sails (100 % jib and main) for a Catalina 22 for less than a grand. Yeah, rigs are often original and need to be replaced, but they'll all need this at this age.

8. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

I bought the Catalina 22 in Dana Point. I got a great price on it, especially compared to the other Cat22's I looked at. This one is in much better shape overall. Things like a comapionway cover, the pop-top side cover, all cushions are there... All the original stuff really. Standing rigging is in good or mostly serviceable condition. The running rigging is poor and dirty. The sails are much, much better than others I have seen. Anyway, without going into crazy detail I'll probably do another thread on cleaning it up and upgrades. I won't be picking it up from Dana Point for a few weeks, the trailer needs a new axle and the slip fee is paid through the end of September. Luckily I will have my choice of 2 cranes to use to haul it out for free!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.