hull type

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sreenath00, Apr 17, 2009.

1. sreenath00

sreenath00 Junior Member

hi,

Iam doing the initial design of a barge
    with a length of 100m, beam 30m and draft of 5m , speed is 5Knots.it dead wt is almost 13000T its an operation barge not carry the product.

its not moving frequently also (once in six month) how i will decide the hull sahpe ??
    whether round hull or flat bottom which one is good for construction and for operation cost......
    and to know bulbus bow is needed ....

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Hire a qualified designer . . .

3. sreenath00

sreenath00 Junior Member

Hello Par......
    THanks....Iam a naval architect student doing a project...
    Can you pls help me how to deside. the hull form...posted in the previous thread,,, with your knowledge,, and experience,./, We are studyng some general things only, i just want to know how a hull form will be selcted in real case design..
    what are all the parameters you will be looking...

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

if you are a student maybe you could consider studying the results with different options and then choosing the one that seems the best.

That way you will learn much much more - than if someone tells you - flat - no bulbous bow...

And I am not a NA and just a boating enthusiast I guess but

a) operating cost once a 6 month is pretty irrelevant compared to other costs.
    b) 6 knots on 100m vessel is very modest - bulbous bow seems totally useless and probably just on the way. Do you know why bulbous bows are used and how they work? you will find plenty of info with the search.
    c) flat Seems more stable and easier to get huge displacement

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sreenath00, no offense intended, but it's a matter of education and experience. Someone asking the questions you are, has absolutely no right to even consider drawing up a vessel of this class. Just engineering the structure to withstand the many forces that will impose on it, will require considerably more ability then you currently have. This says nothing of the regulation requirements and other standards that should be met to insure safety and compliance. This also says nothing of the hydrodynamic elements of a 300'+ long craft. Please hire a professional to engineer your barge. No novice, amateur or design student should ever attempt something on a scale like this. A 3 meter sailing dinghy is one thing, but for God's sake a 300' barge, be reasonable, hire a pro. Again, I'm not trying to insult you, but ask yourself this question, would you let a novice design a 20 story office building, then expect people to trust your calculations as they walk around in it? Me neither . . .

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

If I understood right its a student assignment - not an assignment for a real project.

That being said I would think that the school would have provided the tools for answering these questions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.